CFP: The Others
Submission deadline: Sunday, September 16 2012
Friday, November 16 2012 - Sunday, November 18 2012
A priori. Society for Humanities, Art and Cultural Theory, University of Ljubljana
This conference will be looking for constructive thinking which will be focused on the relationship to and the construction of the others in any level of humanistic thought.
The goal is to point out and inquire about the concept of the other or others in relationship to our own existence.
Questions like these come to mind:
- Who or what is the other?
- How does the other appear?
- What is the role and position of the other in the process of formation and establishing and keeping our own identity?
- Why having others?
- Why the need for being different and not diverse?
- What kind of interactions appear between us and others?
- How it feels when we become the other?
- Is this classification apparent in today’s social climate?
- Can we learn something about people and their society from the way they accept others?
- How are others articulated and what kind of discourse appears in connection to them?
- Where are the differences most apparent and why in those areas?
- How important is differentiation and where it leads?
- What is natural in differentiation, if anything at all?
- Is differentiation good or should it be avoided?
We are interested in the others in relationship with gender, religion, continent, country (nationality), culture (subculture and contra culture), ethnicity, sexual orientation, world view (values), family, individual, and also others; others in media, school, work place, everyday life, social difference, literature, history, etc.
Who is being addressed with the term other; society or nature, foreigner or enemy, us or them?
All interested parties should send their abstracts in English language (up to 300 words) to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 16.9.2012, Subject: IISC2012.first name.surname.the title of the paper.
Please let us know your information (first name, surname, e-mail, faculty/department, university, a short biography and an address to which you will receive the post-conference volume with selected papers short biography) in the same document.
You are provided with: 2x sleeping with breakfast, 1x conference dinner, 1x lunch between sessions, snacks and refreshments during the conference, working material and a copy of the post-conference volume. Travel expenses are covered by participants themselves.
All the applications will be read by the organizing committee who will let the applicant know their decision by 26. 9. 2012. The participants will then, with a conformational e-mail, register until 5. 10. 2012 or his/her position in the conference will be passed on to the next willing applicant.
The conference will be held in the English language. Each participant has been allocated 20 min to present his/her paper, plus 10 min for discussion.
The best papers will be selected and published in the post-conference volume.
Contact: Nika Škof (email@example.com)