CFP: Diversity in Philosophy
Submission deadline: Friday, February 1 2013
Wednesday, May 29 2013 - Friday, May 31 2013
University of Dayton
Dayton, United States
This conference examines and addresses the underrepresentation of women and minorities in Philosophy. Participants will focus on hurdles and best practices associated with the inclusion of underrepresented groups in Philosophy. It will focus on such questions as:
- Why are there so few women and minorities Philosophy majors, graduate students, and faculty members?
- What are some effective ways to improve the recruitment, retention and advancement of women and minorities in Philosophy?
- What roles do implicit bias and stereotyping play in who advances in Philosophy?
- How can the climate for women and minorities be improved?
- What role can feminist philosophers and philosophers of race, play in advancing women and minorities in Philosophy?
- What can Philosophy learn from National Science Foundation ADVANCE initiatives that address how to recruit and advance women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields?
- How can we improve the climate for other underrepresented groups in Philosophy, including those who are LGBTQ, disabled, first generation in college, or economically disadvantaged?
Goals of the conference include creating opportunities for networking and building supportive communities.
We invite papers arising from relevant research programs, or about insights arising from relevant professional experience, including research, service and teaching work. We invite individual presentations of 20 minutes with 10 additional minutes of discussion, or panels consisting of three 15 minute presentations with a total of 15 additional minutes of discussion. You may submit abstracts of papers (200-300 words) or panels (up to 3 abstracts) below. Only one submission per person. Panels should only be submitted once. To submit an abstract or panel, submit here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dFE4UmszYXpjcUFUUHVDaVlMSy1ua0E6MQ.
We encourage presenters to give accessible, engaging presentations. All conferences rooms can accommodate PowerPoint.
Submission Deadline: February 1, 2013