CFP: Florida Philosophical Association 2017 Conference
Submission deadline: August 26, 2017
November 3, 2017 - November 4, 2017
Department of Philosophy, College of Central Florida
Ocala, United States
The 2017 meeting of the Florida Philosophical Association will be held on 3-4 November at College of Central Florida in Ocala, Florida.Call for Papers 1. Regular Submissions:
The deadline for Regular submissions is 26 August 2017.
The Florida Philosophical Association invites submissions of papers for its 2017 meeting. Papers in all areas of philosophy are welcome. See complete submission instructions below.2. Graduate Paper Award (GPA) Competition:
The deadline for GPA submissions is 26 August 2017.
Graduate students submitting papers for the regular program (see above) may also elect to have their papers considered for the Outstanding Graduate Paper Award and should indicate that this is the case by including 'GPA' at the end of the title line of their submission. The winning paper will be published in The Florida Philosophical Review and the author will receive a monetary award. Only graduate students at Florida colleges are eligible for this award. Please include an abstract of no more than 150 words with your paper submission. See further submission instructions below.3. Undergraduate Paper Awards (UPA) Competition:
The deadline for UPA submissions is 9 September 2017.
Note that the submission deadline for the undergraduate awards competition is later than the general deadline for paper submissions.
Undergraduate students may submit papers for special award consideration. Eligible undergraduates should indicate that this is the case by including 'UPA-4year' or 'UPA-2year' at the end of the title line of their submission, depending on which of the following awards they are competing for:
- • The Gerrit and Edith Schipper Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Philosophy Paper in a Four-Year College or University
- • The Outstanding Undergraduate Philosophy Paper in a Two-Year College
Undergraduate papers may be any length, but 15 double-spaced pages is recommended. The winning papers will be published in The Florida Philosophical Review and the authors will receive a monetary award. Only undergraduate students at Florida colleges are eligible. Please include an abstract of no more than 150 words with your paper submission. See further submission instructions below.4. Panel Session Proposals:
The deadline for panel submissions is 12 August 2017.
Note that the submission deadline for panel proposals is earlier than the general deadline for paper submissions.
Proposals for special panel sessions are also welcome. To submit a proposal for a panel session, the panel organizer should prepare and submit a panel proposal document with the following components: i) panel title, ii) participants, iii) a panel abstract which constitutes an overview statement of the theme of the panel, and iv) a panel brief by each of the proposed panel members. A panel brief is text that is (or would be the basis of) the panelist's intended presentation. If you would like your panel considered also for an FPA group session meeting at the 2018 Eastern APA, indicate this by including 'FPA/APA' at the end of the title line of the panel submission.5. Florida Philosophical Review
Authors who wish to have their papers considered for publication in the Florida Philosophical Review should visit the journal website for submission instructions (requires separate submission).Submission Instructions
- All papers should be prepared for anonymous review — remove all author- and institution-identifying information. Only one paper submission per person, please.
- Papers submitted for inclusion in the regular program should be limited to a reading time of 30 minutes (approx. 12 double-spaced pages and usually not more than 4000 words). Sessions on the regular program are 45 minutes (30 minutes reading time and 15 minutes for discussion).
- Abstract: Also include an abstract of no more than 150 words with your paper.
- Papers must be submitted electronically via Easychair. Authors will need to create an account and upload their papers as .pdf files. You should type/paste the author information and abstract into the submission form you will see once you are logged into the EasyChair website. Please direct any questions regarding the submission process to the Program Coordinator.
- Papers submitted for the regular program of the FPA can be considered also for a special group session at the 2018 Eastern APA. The FPA has reserved several group sessions for the next Eastern APA meeting, which is to be held Jan. 3-6, 2018 in Savannah, Georgia. Florida philosophers are invited to have their papers considered for an E-APA group session in addition to our annual FPA conference program. If you would like your paper to be considered for both meetings, indicate this by including 'FPA/APA' at the end of the title line of your submission in Easychair.
All submissions will receive email confirmation of receipt. If your submission does not soon result in a receipt confirmation, please send an inquiry to the Program Coordinator.Call for Abstracts Annual Teaching Symposium: Teaching Students to Read Philosophy
The deadline for panel submissions is 12 August 2017.
Note that the submission deadline for symposium submissions is earlier than the general deadline for paper submissions.
For the 2017 meeting of the FPA, the Teaching Committee invites the submission of abstracts for individual or group presentations on the topic of 'Teaching Students to Read Philosophy'. Ideas for presentations, individual or group, on other teaching-related topics will gladly be accepted and considered.
Abstract submissions for the teaching symposium should be sent to the Program Organizer, Laurie Shrage. Please use the email subject heading 'Symposium Abstract'. Only ONE abstract per person, please.
For more information on teaching symposium, contact the symposium organizer, Eugenio Zaldivar