CFP: Jaspers in a Global Context
Submission deadline: September 10, 2017
August 13, 2018 - August 20, 2018
Karl Jaspers Society of North America
As a FISP member Society,
the Karl Jaspers Society of North America will host panels
in conjunction with the XXIV World Congress of Philosophy
August 13–20, 2018
Beijing, China World Congress Theme: "Learning To Be Human"
The Congress will include sessions to the theme, Jaspers in a Global Context. The purpose of these sessions is to discover possibilities in Karl Jaspers' work for thinking about such philosophies, histories, and cultures that emerged in different periods and locations as well as to reflect on their interrelationship, and to provide a forum for international Jaspers Societies and individual Jaspers scholars to contribute to the World Congress.
The following presentation topics are particularly welcome:
* Intercultural Communication—intercultural comparisons and productive engagements between East and West, world philosophy, the unity of humanity as opposed to totalitarian thinking
* The Atomic Bomb and World Peace—the challenges of the nuclear age and philosophical justifications for pacifism
* Transcendence and Immanence—the influence of transcendence and immanence on the practice of cultural criticism, human existence and transcendence, the relationship between conceptions of transcendence and universalistic conceptions of morality
* Perspectives on Asian Philosophy and Asian Influences on Jaspers—the interpretation of themes in Confucius, the Buddha, Laozi, or Nagarjuna from perspectives informed by existential philosophy as well as the influence of Asian philosophers on Jaspers thought
* Concepts of Self and Humanity—Jaspers' view of self and humanity in comparison and contrast with East Asian views of self and humanity, the relationship between self, humanity and the cosmos
* Guilt and Responsibility—existential and historical guilt in different cultural contexts, guilt versus shame cultures, responsibilities derived from guilt, guilt and conscience
The deadline for submitting paper proposals is September 15, 2017. Proposals received after this deadline, but before February 1, 2018, may be considered if space permits. Please send a title and an abstract of no more than 200 words with the subject Jaspers in a Global Context to the program chair, Ruth Burch, email@example.com.
Notification of acceptance for the initial round of submissions will be given by September 20, 2017 (early registration for the World Congress closes on October 1, 2017).