CFP: ECOM: Graduate and Post-Doctoral Interdisciplinary Workshop
Submission deadline: October 5, 2018
December 1, 2018
ECOM Research Group, University of Connecticut
Storrs, United States
The Expression, Communication, and Origins of Meaning Research Group (ECOM) is pleased to announce its first graduate and post-doctoral interdisciplinary workshop dedicated to work on ECOM-related topics. The workshop is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 1, 2018 and will bring together graduate and post-doctoral students working in philosophy, psychology, linguistics, anthropology, and more. A keynote presentation will be delivered by Jill de Villiers, Professor of Philosophy and Sophia and Austin Smith Professor of Psychology, Smith College.
The ECOM Research Group is inviting submissions for the workshop (anonymized abstracts of 150 words and full papers, not to exceed 4,000 words, in pdf. format) to be sent to the interim-director, Jordan Ochs, at Jordan.firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, October 5, 2018. We expect to make decisions by Friday, October 19, 2018.
Topics may include but are not limited to:
- Expressive behavior in humans and non-human animals
- Development and evolution of communication systems
- Development and evolution of capacities underlying linguistic and nonlinguistic communication
- Interpretation of linguistic and non-linguistic signs
- Context and convention in linguistic interpretation
- The evolution of language
For more information about ECOM, please visit our website: www.ecomresearchgroup.com