CFP: Contemporary Challenges and Values 2: Value Conflicts
Submission deadline: June 30, 2022
July 7, 2022 - July 8, 2022
Department of the History of Philosophy and Comparative Philosophy; "Kultura i Wartości (“Culture and Values”, Maria Curie-Sklodowska University, Lublin,, Poland
The Chair of the History of Philosophy and Comparative Philosophy at the Institute of Philosophy of Maria Curie-Skłodowska University (UMCS) and the journal Kultura i Wartości (“Culture and Values” - journals.umcs.pl/kw) warmly invite you to participate in the conference “Contemporary Challenges and Values 2: VALUE CONFLICTS”. The conference will be held online (on Zoom) from 7 to 8 July 2022 in two languages: English and Polish.
In the course of the conference, we intend to reflect on the relationship between contemporary challenges (both theoretical and practical) and values as they figure both in individual as well as social valuations and in theoretical approaches. In particular, we aim to engage with the following questions (which, however, are only exemplary):
1) What are value conflicts? What are their sources? Are such conflicts of values something exceptional or rather a normal element of human culture and history?
2) Which values are a source of conflict today?
3) Which values are currently undergoing transformation and to what extent? How should we understand the nature of such transformations? Do such transformations occur in values themselves or only in our consciousness thereof?
4) Are all value transformations stimulated by practical challenges? Are value transformations a normal phenomenon or are they symptomatic of an aberration or a crisis?
5) How do such transformations and conflicts relate to classical axiological positions such as absolutism, relativism, pluralism, objectivism, subjectivism, and relationalism?
6) Can we still speak of the universalism of values (in the context of cultural-civilisational pluralism)?
7) Can we still speak of value optimism today?
We welcome presentations offering systematic approaches to such questions as well as papers discussing approaches already developed by philosophers and figures in Cultural Studies, Sociology, and so forth.
The conference will consist in sections in Polish and in English.
The conference is open to researchers and PhD students. Please send your abstract to [email protected] by 28 June 2022. The abstract should not exceed 600 words. The presentation of your paper should take no longer than 20 minutes. Please include your name, title of the paper, and institutional affiliation in the body of the e-mail. The decision whether your submission has been accepted will be communicated to you by 1 July 2022.
Articles developed on the basis of conference papers will be published – subject to their receiving a positive review - in the journal Kultura i Wartości. Articles, formatted according to the journal's requirements, should be registered on the journal's website (journals.umcs.pl/kw) by 30 August 2022.