Philosophy Now Festival
Conway Hall, Red Lion Square
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
You are all cordially invited to the Philosophy Now Festival, which is being held this Sunday (December 18th) in Conway Hall, Red Lion Square, London, from 10:30am onwards. This will celebrate Philosophy Now magazine's 20th anniversary. It will be free, family-friendly, and everyone is welcome. There is no need to book - you can just turn up!
A number of organisations including Philosophy For All; the Royal Institute of Philosophy; the London School of Philosophy and the Philosophy Foundation have joined us to organize a complete day of talks, debates, games and other philosophy events. The full programme in PDF format is linked from this page of our website:
Some highlights will include:
- Public lectures by Dr Timothy J. Madigan, Prof. Anthony O'Hear, Prof. Roger Scruton, and Dr Mark Vernon.
- A round table debate on philosophy and religion with Dr Anthony Carroll SJ, John Holroyd, Dr Stephen Law, and Hamza Andreas Tzortzis.
- Café Philosophique organised by Christian Michel from the Institut Francais.
- Utilitarianism game - "Health or Wealth?" Devised by Jeremy Hayward and Gerald Jones.
- A balloon debate: Kant, Plato, Santayana and Mill will each have their defenders (Richard Baron, Natalia Doran, Tom Rubens and Anja Steinbauer) and the audience will decide who should get thrown out of the sinking balloon first.
- Ethics workshop with Ralph Blumenau.
- Philosophy game for teenagers: "Who do you THINK you are?"
- Philosophy Speed Debating: "What is Art?"
- There will be four philosophy sessions for children, courtesy of the Philosophy Foundation. Like everything else this will be free, but the childrens' sessions should be booked in advance as places are limited. Details are here:
Other attractions for younger visitors will include facepainting and a Philo-Santa.
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?