CFP: 29th Annual Australian Association of Professional and Applied Ethics Conference
Submission deadline: August 21, 2022
Ethics in Management: Business and the Professions
Call for Papers
The AAPAE Conference Committee invites submissions from individuals and teams working in any discipline or professions interested in advancing the understanding, teaching, and practice of professional and applied ethics. Non-traditional papers (case studies, for example) and submissions from those working outside universities are very welcome.
Although priority will be accorded to papers focused on this year’s theme, works in adjacent fields will also be considered. As always, the conference will provide a collegial and encouraging atmosphere for new researchers and seasoned presenters to showcase their work. Abstracts of ~250 words should be e-mailed to: [email protected]
Management and leadership roles in business and the professions entail a wide range of ethical issues and challenges. These are apparent to anyone occupying such roles, aspiring to them, or subject to decisions by managers and leaders. Their effects on our daily lives are unavoidable and wide-ranging, never more so than in times of flux and crisis. In addition to ethical challenges particular to management and leadership roles, there are many more general questions, such as:
· Are management and leadership ethically special in some way?
· Is ethics for leaders and managers the same as for other people?
· Does being a manager or leader present ethical challenges that are different in kind from other aspects of daily life, or are the impacts of leaders’ and managers’ decisions simply greater?
· Are such challenges analogous to the ethical issues and questions faced in the professions generally?
· What do we have a right to expect of leaders and managers regarding ethics?