Social Ontology 2023
Frescativägen, 114 19
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
Social Ontology 2023
Theme: Social ontology and the social sciences, and the method(s) of social ontology
August 16-19, 2023, Stockholm University, Sweden
Deadline for abstracts: January 30, 2023
Social Ontology is the internationally leadingphilosophical and philosophy-related interdisciplinary conference series on social and collective phenomena. Social Ontology 2023 in Stockholm particularly invites contributions on the nature and existence of social phenomena, methodological debates about social ontology, and analyses of collective intentionality and collective responsibility.
In-person conference with the option of ISOS members to participate online during the keynote lectures and the special panel on the method(s) of social ontology: Social Ontology: What is it? What do we want it to be?
Call For Abstracts
Submit abstracts (300-500 words, prepared for blind review) by January 30,
2023, at EasyChair: https://easychair.org/account/signin?l=8Mcn1YrKqlUM4zSvKSBYBT
Notification of acceptance: March 6th, 2023.
Interdisciplinary contributions are strongly encouraged. This year, we
particularly invite contributions from sociology, economics, political science, and appliedperspectives.
• The ontology of the social world; the nature and existence of social phenomena
• Collective intentionality
• The ontology of social kinds (e.g. race or gender or class)
• Social structures and opaque kinds of social facts
• Shared, joint or collective action
• Shared, collective, and corporate responsibility
• Collective or shared beliefs, intentions, and emotions
• Linguistic or mental representations of social phenomena
• Social skills, habits and practices
• Trust, cooperation, and competition
• The concept of social power and stratification
• The nature, evolution, and functioning of social norms
• The structure of institutions, firms, and organizations
• The ontology of economics including unintended effects
• The method(s) of social ontology
• Approaches to the metaphysics of the social world
• Critical social ontology
Panel: Social ontology — What is it? What do we want it to be?
The City of Stockholm has kindly invited us to the City Hall for a tour and dinner. This is the place of the annual Nobel Prize Dinner. There will be trips to Stockholm archipelago and other social events.
Conference website for more information: https://isos.wildapricot.org/Social-Ontology-2023
ISOS hopes to offer some bursaries to contribute to conference costs for students and precariously employed social ontologists who are accepted to give papers at the conference. Please consider this when deciding whether to submit.
The International Social Ontology Society and the organizing team consisting of Åsa Burman, Gunnar Björnsson, Erik Angner, Staffan Carlshamre and Anandi Hattiangadi (Stockholm University). In case of questions, feel free to reach out to Åsa Burman.
The Conference Series
The Social Ontology conferences are held underthe auspices of the International Social Ontology Society. Previous events inthis series have been held at the Universities of Basel, Helsinki, Konstanz,Leipzig, Munich, Manchester,Neuchâtel, Palermo, Rome, Rotterdam, Siena, andTampere, as well as theUniversity of California San Diego and Berkeley, DelftUniversity of Technology,Tufts University, Indiana University, Bloomington, and the University of Vienna.