CFP: The Value of Scientific Representation. Classic Issues and Contemporary Challenges
Submission deadline: February 28, 2023
June 21, 2023 - June 22, 2023
Institute of Philosophy, FCSH, Nova University of Lisbon
We invite you to submit papers for the conference “The Value of Scientific Representation. Classic Issues and Contemporary Challenges” - NOVA University of Lisbon, June 21st-22nd, 2023.
Keynote speakers: Alisa Bukolich (Boston University) and Michela Massimi (The University of Edinburgh)
Organized within the activities of the research project “Mary B. Hesse’s ‘new epistemology’. Principles and Legacy” (FCT/IFILNOVA), the conference aims to explore issues from the current debate on scientific representation that may be - directly or indirectly - connected with Hesse’s theoretical understanding of science. On a general level, we would like the speakers to engage with open questions related with the value of the scientific world-explanation from a variety of viewpoints that should not be limited to a philosophical or linguistic analysis of the issues explored, but may also involve contributions devoted to classic figures of the history and philosophy of science.
Possible topics may include:
- The epistemic function and value of scientific modelling;
- Varieties of figurative representations in science (metaphors, analogies, fictions, perspectives, frames, etc.);
- Scientific realism vs. relativism and instrumentalism;
- Analytic vs. historic philosophy of science;
- Coherence vs. correspondence theories of truth;
- Hermeneutic understanding of the natural sciences;
- Classic engagements with scientific representation;
- History, development and discussion of positivist and/or empiricist epistemology;
- Contribution to the philosophy of science of leading figures of the so-called “post-empiricist” turn (Quine, Kuhn, Feyerabend, etc.);
Reference to Hesse’s work and preferred issues will be very much appreciated, although it is not required.
Deadline for Submission: February 28th, 2023
Notification of Acceptance: March 30th, 2023
Abstracts in English and not exceeding 300 words can be sent to Pietro Gori at the following address: [email protected].