Human Dignity: Theory and Practice
- Canadian Journal of Philosophy
- Groupe de recherche interuniversitaire en philosophie politique
- Le Centre de recherche en Éthique
- Concordia’s Social Justice Centre
- Katharine A. Pearson Chair in Civil Society and Public Policy
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
McGill University and Concordia University, in collaboration with Groupe de recherche interuniversitaire en philosophie politique (GRIPP), Le Centre de recherche en Éthique (CRÉ), the Canadian Journal of Philosophy, and Concordia’s Social Justice Centre is excited to announce our upcoming conference “Human Dignity: Theory and Practice.”
The conference will be hosted at Concordia’s Social Justice Centre and McGill University from April 28-29, 2023.
The purpose of the conference is to explore recent work on human dignity. Questions of topical relevance are those regarding the relationship between dignity and (anti-discrimination) law, the (metaphysical/political) grounds of dignity, the relationship between dignity and (relational) equality, the history of the concept of human dignity, skepticism and/or criticism regarding the functional role that dignity-talk plays in moral and political discourse, Kant’s theory of human dignity, religious conceptions of dignity, etc.
Confirmed speakers so far:
- Tom Christiano (University of Arizona)
- Stephen Darwall (Yale)
- Pablo Gilabert (Concordia)
- Ariel Zylberman (SUNY)
- Nandi Theunissen (University of Pittsburgh)
- Sophia Moreau (University of Toronto)
- Jordan Walters (McGill)
More information and more participants will be announced closer to the event. The deadline for submission of papers is March 1, 2023.
Guidelines for submissions:
· Submit papers here by March 1, 2023: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGKNkd6iWMF28CIsmrsnAOi-8JIutv7CQS85smLYnyHnXsnA/viewform?usp=sf_link
· Papers should be no more than 12,000 words, with abstracts of no more than 250 words, and must be suitable for a 50-minute presentation.
· Please include 2-5 keywords for your topic.
· All submissions must be in PDF or Word formats.
· Papers should be prepared for blind review, with file name: HDTP2023_*Title*.
· Submit a separate cover letter in PDF or Word format with the following details: name, paper title, institutional affiliation, and contact information.
· Co-authored papers are permitted.
· Successful applicants will be notified by March 15, 2023.
· Send questions or concerns to [email protected]
April 27, 2023, 9:00am EST
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?