Society for Women in Philosophy UK Annual Conference 2023: "Interdisciplinarity"
Newcastle upon Tyne
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
The annual conference of the UK Society for Women in Philosophy (SWIP-UK) invites papers on the theme of ‘Interdisciplinarity’, understood in a broad sense, to include not just the humanities but all disciplines, including the natural and social sciences, the arts, and all forms of cultural practices that include but go beyond philosophical aspects.
What does it mean to work between or across disciplines? What are the feminist philosophical implications or outcomes of such work? Are there any 'natural' or elective affinities between women's academic work and interdisciplinarity? We hope that contributions will address these or similar questions.
We welcome contributions that, for instance:
- are interdisciplinary but minimally include philosophical topics, themes, concerns, figures, etc.;
- have feminist philosophical implications;
- have implications for women working in philosophy and related fields;
- question disciplinary boundaries;
- address the theoretical aspects of interdisciplinarity;
- focus on women thinkers or practitioners whose work is of an interdisciplinary nature or has implications for interdisciplinarity.
This is a conference for anyone, at whatever stage of their career, and of any gender, working on these or related themes, topics, questions and issues, broadly conceived.
Please send abstracts of 250-300 words max. to the organiser, Dr. Andrea Rehberg:
Abstract deadline: 15/5/2023
Outcomes announced: 12/6/2023
SWIP-UK is committed to reducing potential barriers to participation, including financial barriers.
· There will be reduced conference fees for students and those without access to institutional funds, as well as for members of SWIP-UK.
· Small bursaries for dependant care will be available in order to enable delegates with caring responsibilities to attend. The exact amounts available will depend on demand, but our aim is to make sure that the costs of dependant care do not form a barrier to anyone’s attendance, and we are flexible in terms of the kinds of care arrangements we can reimburse.
· The conference will be fully wheelchair-accessible and will adhere to the BPA/SWIP Guidelines for Accessible Conferences as well as the Good Practice Scheme for Conferences and Seminar Seriesand the Guidelines for Philosophers for Business Travel. Specific queries about accessibility should be directed to the conference organiser, Dr. Andrea Rehberg ([email protected])
Note: The conference will include the SWIP-UK Annual General Meeting, open to SWIP-UK members. All conference attendees who identify as women and/or feel they are perceived or treated as women will be entitled to day membership of SWIP-UK and so will be very welcome to attend the AGM. This is an excellent opportunity to find out more about the work of SWIP-UK and to get involved. For more on SWIP-UK, see our website: https://www.swipuk.org/
August 31, 2023, 5:00pm BST