CFP: HCSPiP 2024
Submission deadline: September 25, 2023
June 23, 2024 - July 8, 2024
Department of Philosophy, Hamilton College
Oneida, United States
The HCSPiP seeks proposals from creative philosophy instructors to lead one of three innovative two-week undergraduate seminars, tentatively scheduled for June 23 through July 6, 2024. Classes should be aimed at undergraduates, and be inclusive, active, student-centered, and engaging. We are open to proposals for teaching any kind of philosophical content, utilizing any kind of philosophical method. Proposals will be evaluated by our estimation of their likelihood of generating an exciting, pedagogically creative, challenging, student-centered experience for all participants.
We will run three concurrent classes with twenty highly motivated and philosophically inclined students, mainly rising juniors and seniors, drawn half from Hamilton College and half from other schools. The program is a community-centered laboratory designed to foster close relationships between students and faculty. Instructors will have the assistance of current philosophy graduate students who will serve as tutors.
The HCSPiP will culminate, for instructors, with a presentation of their work in a one-day public pedagogy conference, tentatively scheduled for July 8.
On-campus dormitory housing, meals in the Hamilton dining halls, and reimbursement for travel will be provided to all participants, along with a $5,000 stipend for instructors. Students and tutors also receive generous funding.
To propose a course, send a single pdf containing
- A name and detailed outline of the two-week course;
- A description of how the classes will be taught, your approach to the in-class pedagogy;
- A discussion of the pedagogical innovation of your proposed class;
- How you might use a tutor to prepare for classes, during classes, or to support students outside of class (suggestions for particular tutors are welcome);
- Any technology or special equipment you might want to use in the course;
- Resources that students will need to participate in your course; and
- Names of one or two potential external visitors who could support your course goals.
In addition, please send a current CV and relevant evidence of teaching experience and excellence.
All proposal materials should be sent to the HCSPiP program committee, [email protected], by September 25, 2023. Samples of successful proposals from the past are available on request. Promising applicants may be invited for a conversation before courses are selected. For more information, contact Russell Marcus, HCPSiP Director, [email protected], or Catherine Schmitt, HCSPiP Assistant Director, [email protected].