Phenomenology, Hermeneutics and Existentialism for Games (Nordic Explorative Workshops)
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
Games are a source of fascinating philosophical issues addressed by current games research. They are also increasingly catching the attention of traditional philosophers. In a series of “Nordic Explorative Workshops” we aim to provide arenas where students and scholars in philosophy and game studies can discuss their projects. We reach out to scholars who would like to contribute to this emerging field, and to bachelor and master students writing about such issues.
Games are designed to create meaning structures for their players that derive from the fact that they are adopting a subject position within the game, in which they achieve goals, overcome challenges and act out interpersonal relationships imposed by the gaming system. A number of games scholars have used the tools of phenomenology, hermeneutics and existentialism to analyze such meaning structures, and the aim of this workshop is to explore these issues, though the submissions do not need to stem from these traditions.
Submitters are invited to submit proposals on questions such as:
- What do players understand when they understand how to play a game?
- What is the phenomenology of simulation?
- What characterizes the phenomenal consciousness of events and objects in game worlds?
- What characterizes the subject roles in avatar- and non-avatar based gameplay?
- What is the nature of embodied experience in gameplay?
- How does the notion of a world operate as a part of the player experience?
- What is the difference between the third-person understanding of gameplay and the first-person in-game understanding?
- What is the character of the affective experiences that are created during gameplay?
- In what sense is acting in games action?
- In what sense is projectuality in games different from ordinary life?
- And other questions related to the philosophy of games.
September 15, 2023, 9:00am EET
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?