Tradition in philosophy. Philosophy in tradition
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
English and Polish (separate sections for presentations in Polish, separate sections for presentations in English).
International academic conference online (on the Zoom platform).
The conference will be professionally recorded and then published on the YouTube channel of the Institute of Philosophy of UMCS.
Time to deliver your own speech: up to 20 minutes.
A discussion is planned at the end of each conference session.
Participation in the conference does not involve any fees.
Department of the History of Philosophy and Comparative Philosophy at the Institute of Philosophy, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin:
• Ph.D., Dr. Habilit., Tomasz Stefaniuk (e-mail: [email protected])
• Ph.D. Leszek Kopciuch, prof. UMCS, Dean of the Faculty Philosophy and Sociology UMCS, Head of the Department of History of Philosophy and Comparative Philosophy
• Ph.D. Jakub Dadlez
• Ph.D. Damian Winczewski
Post-conference texts devoted to philosophy, especially focusing on axiology, may be submitted to the journal "Culture and Values" (for Polish authors: ministerial score: 70 points). All information regarding the publication, including guidelines and requirements for authors, as well as the contact e-mail address with the journal's editorial office, are available at: https://journals.umcs.pl/kw/about.
Description and research goals of the conference
The conference organizers encourage to focus on two research areas related to the broad understanding of the term "tradition":
• Tradition from a philosophical perspective and from the perspective of other humanities
• Philosophy in tradition; philosophizing as a certain tradition.
Suggested areas of interest may include, but are not limited to:
• Understanding tradition in Western philosophy and humanities
• Approaching tradition and traditionalism in non-European philosophy and humanities
• Philosophy/philosophizing as participation in a certain tradition
• "Traditionality" of selected philosophical trends
• Can we currently talk about a crisis of tradition (or "tradition in crisis"): a crisis of traditional worldviews, traditional institutions or social structures?
• Tradition/traditions and community/community
• Tradition and problems and issues of the theory of value
• Tradition and morality
• Tradition from the perspective of cultural studies
We invite speakers from various places, various academic centers, as well as various cultural experiences to participate in the conference, wishing to understand tradition as one of the key concepts that cannot be ignored nowadays.
Academic staff may participate in the conference as speakers (it is not a student conference).
Applicants should send their application to the following e-mail address: [email protected], by February 15, 2024, at 20:00
(a) Information about yourself: name and surname, academic degree/title, affiliation
(b) A short abstract of your conference presentation (max. 600 words) along with the title of the same.
c) Contact details: e-mail and telephone number.
The Organizers will inform about the acceptance or rejection of the application within a week after the deadline for sending applications (i.e. February 16-23, 2024) via e-mail.
If you have any questions or doubts, we will be happy to answer your e-mails: [email protected]