CFP: 5th René Descartes Lectures 2016: Science, Values and Democracy (Heather Douglas)
Submission deadline: May 15, 2016
September 5, 2016 - September 7, 2016
Tilburg Center for Logic, Ethics and Philosophy of Science, Tilburg University
It is a great pleasure to announce that Professor Heather Douglas (University of Waterloo) is this year’s René Descartes Lecturer. Professor Douglas will deliver three lectures, each of which will be commented on by two renowned scholars.
Workshop “Science, Values and Democracy”
Beside Professor Douglas’ lectures and the invited commentaries, there will also be a workshop on the topic of Science, Values and Democracy for which we cordially invite contributions.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- science and values
- scientific objectivity
- inductive risk
- science and public policy
- science and risk assessment
- the division of epistemic labor
- the collaborative dimension of science
- the social dynamics of science
- the role of science and scientific expertise in modern democracies
- science communication
Notifications will be sent out by 1 June.