CFP: International Conference on Moving Image and Philosophy
Submission deadline: February 6, 2017
July 7, 2017 - July 8, 2017
Mind, Language and Action Group (MLAG), University of Porto
We welcome proposal submissions for the International Conference on Moving Image and Philosophy, held in Porto (Portugal), 7-8 July , 2017.
- Daniel Ribas (unaffiliated)
- Susana Viegas (unaffiliated)
- Thomas Wartenberg (unaffiliated)
- Deadline: Extended - 6 February 2017
- Word limit: 750 words
- Please prepare your abstract for blind review (your abstract should be anonymous). Include a separate document with your contact information, a short bio, and the title of your paper. Title your e-mail “MIP2017” and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abstracts may be written in English or Portuguese.
- Each presenter will have 25 minutes to present her/his paper followed by a 15 minutes discussion
- Topics and issues of interest include (but are not limited to):
– Classical and contemporary film theory (formalist, psychoanalytic, feminist, cognitive, structuralist, etc.);
– Definitions of cinema (essencialist – e.g. medium specificity – and nonessentialist);
– Philosophical themes in film (ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of mind, philosophy of religion, epistemology, etc.);
– Genre(s) (the issues on film genres, avant-garde, documentary, pornography, horror, drama, etc.);
– Specific films (interpretations, influences, presented philosophy, etc.);
– Sex and gender issues (feminist and queer film, the image of women in movies, etc.);
– Issues on narrative, spectatorship, authorship, etc.;
– Authors on philosophy and film (Arhnheim, Carroll, Wartenberg, Mulvey, Bordwell, Deleuze, etc.);
– Cinema and other arts (film and music, film and photography, film and architecture, etc.);
– Filmmakers (Bergman, Tarkovsky, Chaplin, Eisenstein, Carpenter, Kubrick, etc.);
– Other issues and relations between philosophy and film.
We encourage people from various backgrounds to submit proposal for we support a multidisciplinary dialogue. We also strongly encourage submissions any under-represented groups!
- Decision will be made by 10 February 2017
– Unwaged Students – 50€;
– Waged Students – 80€;
– Standard – 90€