CFP: Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 20th Anniversary Conference
Submission deadline: January 9, 2017
June 8, 2017 - June 9, 2017
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 20th Anniversary Conference
Dimensions of Responsibility
Department of Political and Social Sciences
University of Pavia – 8-9 June 2017
Carla Bagnoli (University of Modena-Reggio Emilia/ University of Oslo)
Ian Carter (University of Pavia)
Antony Duff (University of Stirling)
The idea of responsibility features prominently across a number of debates in practicalphilosophy, including legal, political, moral philosophy, and applied ethics. This conference aims to bring together scholars from within different philosophical traditions to explore the different dimensions along which the many issues concerning the idea of individual and collective responsibility plays out and discuss its normative implications for the establishment of individual and collective rights and duties.
Call for papers
Paper proposals are welcome that engage, inter alia, with the following issues:
- Individual and collective agency as pre-conditions of responsibility
- Responsibility, free will, intentionality, and luck
- Theories of responsibility: backward-looking and forward-looking
- Responsibility and forms of social blame
- Responsibility and punishment: justifications, excuses, and extenuating circumstances
- Epistemic limitations to the attribution of responsibility
- Factors hindering the attribution of responsibility: irrationality, cognitive biases, and self-deception
- Human enhancement and responsibility
- Responsibility for remedying injustices
- Attributive responsibility and distributive justice
- Responsibility and equality of opportunity
- Individual responsibility for cumulative harm
- Responsibility in moral psychology
Paper proposals (1,000 words max) should be prepared for blind review and submitted electronically by 9th January 2017 to the following e-mail address: [email protected].
Decisions will be made and communicated by the end of February 2017.
Conference attendance is free of charge but all selected speakers will have to pay for their travel, meals and accommodation. Coffee/tea, soft drinks, and light refreshments will be served throughout the conference. Accommodation in university colleges is available to paper givers. Accommodation fees and details will be arranged individually. Details about meal arrangements and conference programme to follow.
For more information, please see the conference website: http://etmp2017.wixsite.com/home All correspondence (including paper submissions and additional inquiries) should be addressed to the local organizers, Dr Michele Bocchiola and Prof Emanuela Ceva, at the conference email address: [email protected].
The conference is sponsored by Springer and the Department of Political and Social Sciences of the University of Pavia.