CFP: Professional Ethics, Equality, and Development
Submission deadline: July 10, 2017
October 4, 2017 - October 6, 2017
Center for Applied Ethics, Universidad de Los Andes
**Pease notice deadline extension until July 10th**
Current global challenges require us to think our future in terms human and ethical development. Our social, political, and economic projects are thus inseparable from the ethical dimensions of human life. In this sense, a democratic and just society must be concerned with the education of individuals committed to social equality in their personal and professional lives. In virtue of these concerns, the Latin-American Network for Applied Ethics and the Network for Ethic and Civic Education invite members of all communities and disciplines to participate in the joint congress “Professional Ethics, Equality, and Development.”
We welcome the following submissions:
Presentations: Participants will have 30 minutes to present, followed by 15 minutes for questions and discussion. Submissions should be 2500-3500 words (excluding references) and include an abstract of no more than 300 words. The talks will be organized by topic once they are accepted by the academic committee.
Round-Tables: Participants will have 15 minutes to present, followed by a discussion with the round-table’s participants. Submissions should be 1000-1500 words (excluding references) and include an abstract of no more than 300 words. The round-tables will be organized by topic once they are accepted by the academic committee.
Symposia: Participants will be able to present their work according to a previously defined common area. Submissions should include a justificatory summary of the common area to be discussed of no more than 700 words and an abstract of each participant’s work to be discussed of no more than 700 words, with their names and institutional affiliation.
Submissions can be in Spanish or English and should be prepared for double-blind review. Every submission should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email’s body should include:
- Title of the talk or panel
- Participant’s name
- Tentative core topic (see below), if applicable
For more information about the conference, the city, and registration visit the webpage: https://congresoeticasprofesionales.uniandes.edu.co
The congress will be organized around the following core topics and questions. However, submissions concerning general issues on applied ethics and teaching ethics are also welcomed.
Development and Post-development ethics, equality, and society
· What are the ethical challenges for development in Latin-American contexts?
· What are the converging points between professional ethics and development ethics?
· Is there a particular ethical role to be played by companies in unequal societies?
· What are the responsibilities of university education in promoting an ethical understanding of development?
Ethical and civic education
· What are the pedagogic challenges of teaching ethics?
· How does civic education relate to professional ethics?
· What should be the social impact of education in professional ethics?
· How can ethical education be integrated in diverse disciplines and studies?
· What is the role universities should play in the construction of an equal society?
Professional ethics and equal society
· How can ethics address the tension between professional interests and social equality?
· Which are the ideal scenarios for education in professional ethics? Who is responsible?
· Should professional ethics have a role in the reduction of inequality?
· What are the specific challenges that Latin-America presents for professional ethics?
· Does professional ethics entail concerns for equality, justice, and human development?