CFP: 2nd Aristotle Reading Party on Metaphysics Mu: Ancient views on the nature of mathematics
Submission deadline: July 1, 2017
September 9, 2017 - September 10, 2017
Worcester College, University of Oxford
Oxford, United Kingdom
Call for papers for the 2nd Aristotle Reading Party on Metaphysics Mu: Ancient views on the nature of mathematics, Sep 9th-10th 2017, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Oxford
We will read and comment on all chapters of Aristotle's Metaphysics Mu over the stretch of two days. The sections are introduced by the following speakers:
- Sarah Broadie (University of St Andrews)
- Edward Hussey (University of Oxford)
- Emily Katz (Michigan State University)
- Michail Peramatzis (University of Oxford)
If you are a graduate student or early career scholar and would like to present a paper, please consider submitting an extended abstract (1,000 words) on any topic addressed in Aristotle's Metaphysics Mu. This includes but is not limited to the following topics:
- Aristotle's view on mathematical objects
- Priority in mathematical contexts
- Plato's and other ancient philosophers' views on mathematics
- Aristotle's critique of Plato in Mu (and elsewhere)
- mathematical practice and methodology
- role of mathematics in Aristotle's and/or Plato's philosophy
The deadline is 1st July 2017. Please make sure that your abstract is prepared for blind review and submit only via https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=arismath2017
Partial funding of travelling costs is available. Further funding is sought but cannot be guaranteed.
For any questions please contact Dr Janine Gühler (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A call for registration will be issued and widely circulated after decisions are made regarding abstract submissions.
This conference is kindly supported by the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Oxford, Analysis Trust, British Society of History of Philosophy and Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies.