Association of Chinese Professors of Social Sciences Annual 23rd Conference
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
General Theme: Coping with the Challenge of Globalization
Globalization in the last two decades or so has produced seismic changes in our world. These changes include, on one hand, the phenomenal economic growth in countries such as China and India and the economic disarray in Western countries and, on the other hand, drastic income polarization in many countries even though their GDPs have multiplied. This growing economic maladjustment has also triggered problems ranging from polarized public opinion, social unrest, and racial tension to political instability. At the same time, uneven progress in the age of globalization has raised questions about the validity of the international order that came into existence at the end of World War II. The growing tension between the West and Non-Western worlds, the dispute over the South China Sea, and the imminent trade war between the US and China, etc. suggests the coming of a period of uncertainty and instability. All these unprecedented developments pose a grave challenge to scholars in social sciences and the humanities as well as political leaders all over the world. It is indeed a time that calls for serious reflections, constructive ideas and frank and honest exchanges among people from different cultures and countries. The 2017 annual meeting of the Association of Chinese Professors of Social Sciences in the United States therefore invites papers and panels that focus on, but not limited to the following themes.
1. Impact of globalization
2. Understanding of and teaching about globalization in the classroom
3. Globalization of education
4. Human, cultural and environmental costs of high speed economic growth
5. Immigration, Migration in the age of globalization
6. New ideas in saving mother earth
7. Globalization and national identity
8. Managing US-China relations in the age of growing economic competition
9. How to avoid the Thucydides Trap between China and the U.S.?
10. Relevance of the humanities in an increasingly materialistic world
11. Crucial role of international/cross-cultural dialogues
12. Economic modernization and political reform
13. Global community in the age of mass media and instant news
14. Democracy and the rule of law in China since the Cultural Revolution
15. Anti-Rightist Campaign revisited 60 years later
16. Role and impact of media in the age of globalization
17. Sociology in the age of globalization
18. Arts and literature in the Age of globalization
October 3, 2017, 9:00am EST
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?