Logic and Music
1 Avenue des Célestins
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
Logic and Music, Vichy (France), 24-25 June 2018
Workshop "LOGIC AND MUSIC"
Vichy, France, June 24th and 25th, 2018 (tentatively)
Part of "UNILOG'2018":
6th World Congress and School on Universal Logic
School: June 16 - 20 2018, Congress: June 21-26 2018
Organizer: Ingolf Max (University of Leipzig, Germany, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contributed talks should not exceed a duration of 30 minutes including discussion.
- Abstracts (500 words maximum) should be sent via e-mail before September 15th, 2017 to: email@example.com
- Notification of acceptance: November 15th, 2017
- Workshop: June 24th and 25th, 2018 (tentatively)
Keynote Speaker: Thomas Noll (Barcelona, Spain)
Working Title of Presentation: „An Intuitionistic Approach to Musical Harmony“
This workshop shall represent a privileged platform to make an important step forward to new universal approaches to logic(s) of music. The story goes back at least to the ancient Greeks: Aristotle invented his logic as a formal theory of syllogisms of categorical sentences. Pythagoreans brought mathematics and music into a very general and close contact (harmony of spheres). It depends on our understanding of the relation between logic and mathematics whether there is a direct connection between them with respect to music. In the 16th century we find an intensive use of several aspects of syllogistic forms in the context of cantus (composition). Leibniz looked on logic as “ars inviendi” on the basis of his new understanding of syllogistic forms. But he also develops his “algebra of thought”. Algebraic investigations of different aspects of music can be seen as purely mathematical or as autonomously logical (model-theoretical) paradigms.
The Workshop focuses on the relatively autonomous approaches to logic(s) of music and musical logic, i.e. logic in pieces of musical compositions. We invite composers, conductors, musicians and musicologists interested in the interplay between logic and music to submit a paper or just active participation. Another objective is to bring together researchers from all over the world into closer contact. The organizer of this workshop plans to edit a special issue of a journal (e.g. Logica Universalis).
Topics may include:
- syllogistic forms in musical patterns
- Leibniz’s logic of music
- axiomatic and model-theoretic music theory (Langer 1929 etc.)
- music in the context of non-classical logics like intuitionistic logic, many-valued logic, modal-tense logic etc.
- logical vs. mathematical approaches to music
- rules and syntax in logic and music
- recursiveness and compositionality in logic and music
- logic of melodies
- logic of scales, intervals and chords
- chord operators
- logic of musical harmony
- logic of cadence
- logic of rhythm
- logical spaces of music
- logic of music vs. musical logic
- logic of (violation of) musical expectation
- applications of a logic of music: analysis of pieces of composition, (automatic) pattern recognition, creation of new pieces of music
October 31, 2017, 11:45pm CET
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?