CFP: Second International Conference on Philosophy and Meaning in Life
Submission deadline: March 15, 2019
October 7, 2019 - October 9, 2019
Shinjuku-ku, Totsuka-cho, Japan
Call for papers:
We invite submissions concerning meaning in/of life as considered in the field of philosophy. Please send an abstract of no more than 500 words, prepared for blind review via Google Forms:
March 15th, 2019.
Applicants will be notified of the result via email by the end of May.
Time for presentation:
40 minutes (20 minutes for presentation and 20 minutes for discussion).
Potential topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Philosophical approaches to meaning in/of life
* Meaning of life and death
* Anti-natalism and nihilism
* Metaphysical, spiritual, and religious implications of meaning of/in life theories
* Meaning in/of life in applied ethics, bioethics, and environmental ethics
* Meaning in/of life in various philosophical traditions (Analytic, Continental, Asian, African, Latin American, Islamic etc.)
A detailed program including a time table and venues will be announced in June, 2019.
No registration/participation fee is required.
Speakers are encouraged to submit their papers for publication in the special issue of the Journal of Philosophy of Life (Vol.10, No.1, 2020). Dealine: January/February 2020.
Website for the 2019 conference:
Conference organizers 2018-2019:
Nobuo Kurata (Hokkaido University)
Thaddeus Metz (University of Johannesburg)
Masahiro Morioka (Waseda University)*
Tatsuya Murayama (Tohoku University)
* Chair of the 2019 conference