CFP: Kant and Contemporary Epistemology
Submission deadline: March 1, 2019
May 29, 2019 - May 31, 2019
CONCEPT, Universität zu Köln/University of Cologne
The aim of the workshop is to foster the dialogue and exchange between Kant Studies and Contemporary Analytic Philosophy. We thus invite submission from both Kant scholars interested in methods and questions in contemporary epistemology, and contemporary epistemologists with an broad interest in Kant’s philosophical contributions.
Research topics include, but are not limited to :
• How do Transcendental Arguments operate? Are they purely epistemic? Are they useful to/ in Contemporary Epistemology?
• How can Kant's theory of Belief, Opinion, Knowledge, et cetera be used in Contemporary Epistemology?
• Can Kant's refection on Knowledge and Cognition be fruitful in a contemporary context, i.e. if we bracket Kant's transcendental Idealism?
• Do Kant's proofs of the existence of the external world provide interesting methods for Contemporary Epistemology? Are they suspicious from the eyes of Contemporary Epistemology?
• Which merits does transcendental idealism have from the perspective of Contemporary Epistemology?
• Would Kant have had the (implicit) resources to deal with Gettier-like cases? Do such cases constitute a problem from the perspective of a transcendental idealist?
Abstracts (max 500 words) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2019.
Abstracts should be ready for double-blind review, we thus ask to remove any identification detail from the abstract. We kindly ask to send the author’s name, paper title, and affiliation in the body of the email.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by March 15, 2019.
Presentations will be allotted a total of 45 minutes, ideally 25 minutes of presentation + 20 minutes of discussion. Some funds are available to cover a portion of the travel and accommodation expenses for PhD students and early career researchers.
Confirmed speakers so far include:
- Andrew Chignell,
- Robert Audi,
- Andrea Kern,
- Alexandra Mary Newton,
- Robert Stern,
- Jessica Leech,
- Jochen Briesen,
- Stefanie Grüne;
- Paul Silva.