- HHU: University of Duesseldorf
- DCLPS: Duesseldorf Center for Logic and Philosophy of Science
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
SUMMER SCHOOL on PHILOSOPHICAL ENGINEERING (with travel bursaries)
DATE & VENUE:
August 25-31, 2019
DCLPS (Duesseldorf Center for Logic and Philosophy of Science), University of Duesseldorf
- Eckhart Arnold (Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities)
- Elke Brendel (University of Bonn)
- Filippo Ferrari (University of Bonn)
- Simon Huttegger (University of California, Irvine)
- Leander Vignero (KU Leuven)
AIMS & SCOPE:
Contemporary analytic philosophy makes heavy use of formal methods. However, most of the time people engaged in such a formal endeavour are highly specialised, for which reason they quite often focus on one particular branch of formal philosophy. This is also reflected in contemporary philosophical curricula, which typically offer highly specialised courses on particular formal methods, but only rarely cover a broad range of them. This summer school aims at providing an introductory overview of the main methods applied in formal philosophy or philosophical engineering: logical devising, model building, programming and simulating, and employing digital resources in the broader realm of digital humanities. By bringing together international experts in these fields, participants will gain competencies in applying a broad range of formal methods in their field of interest; for this purpose, each of the mentioned topics is covered by professional instructions, exercises, interactive group work, and the discussion of results by the participants. Furthermore, participants will be provided with opportunities to independently deepen their competencies in a particular topic of interest following completion of the course.
The summer school is suitable for anyone with some basic knowledge in logic (as is gained, e.g., by completing an elementary university course on logic). The main target audience is MA and PhD students, however, this is not an exclusive criterion, for which reason the summer school is also open for BA students.
TRAVEL BURSARIES (THERE ARE NO FEES):
Attending the summer school is free of charge. We provide a limited number of travel bursaries up to a maximum of 150EUR each (only participants with no travel support from their home institution or any other organisation are eligible for the travel bursary application).
APPLICATION & ORGANISATION:
- Please apply via the online application form at our website: .
- The deadline for applications is July 1, 2019.
- If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the organiser "Christian J. Feldbacher-Escamilla (DCLPS)" .
- The summer school is generously supported by the University of Duesseldorf, the Duesseldorf Center for Logic and Philosophy of Science (DCLPS), and the DFG funded research project group Inductive Metaphysics the goal of which is to establish how empirical sources and inductive forms of inference play a role in metaphysical research..
This is a student event (e.g. a graduate conference).
July 1, 2019, 11:45pm CET
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?