Re-evaluating Social Essences
3800 Finnerty Rd
Victoria v8p 5c2
- Canadian Metaphysics Collaborative
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
It was once common to investigate the various items of the social world (institutions, nations, races, genders, artifacts, and so on) by investigating their essences or natures. But many theories of essence relied on assumptions that were scientifically unsupported, philosophically unsubstantiated, or socially unjust. Recent developments in philosophy, however, are rehabilitating essence. The guiding theme of this workshop is to re-evaluate the prospects for social essences in particular. The workshop will be hosted by the University of Victoria from August 28-30, 2020, and will coincide with the fourth annual meeting of the Canadian Metaphysics Collaborative.
Because space is limited, those who wish to attend but who are not on the program must request registration by emailing email@example.com.
The submission deadline is March 1, 2020 (decisions are expected by April 1, 2020).
Accepted papers will be considered for publication in the journal Metaphysics. For this reason, submissions must not already be accepted for or committed to publication in any other venue.
To submit a paper, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- A pdf or doc file containing your paper.
- Papers should engage with topics that are broadly concerned with the workshop's guiding theme.
- Papers should be prepared for anonymous review.
- Papers should be no longer than 8000 words (including notes and references).
- The body of the email must include:
- The author's name and affiliation;
- The title of the paper;
- A brief abstract (150 words or less); and
- A statement that the paper is not accepted for or committed to publication in any other venue and acknowledging that it will, if accepted, be considered for publication in Metaphysics.
August 28, 2020, 9:00am EST
Who is attending?
2 people are attending:
Will you attend this event?