14th Conference of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy: Shaping the future: What Is the Role of Philosophy?
Palazzo Carlo Giavanti
Via A. Sofia, 78
- Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy (SIFA)
- Consorzio Universitario Mediterraneo Orientale (CUMO)
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
Shaping the future: What Is the Role of Philosophy?
14th Conference of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy (SIFA)
23-25 September 2020, Noto (SR), Italy
Palazzo Carlo Giavanti, Via A. Sofia, 78, Noto (SR), Italy
The Conference is open to all topics and themes in the analytic tradition, and will host five special topic symposia.
CONFIRMED INVITED SPEAKERS
Elizabeth Fricker (University of Oxford)
Dan Sperber (Institut Nicod, Paris)
Sarah Stroud (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
Keynote Address Speakers
· Aesthetics: Jerrold Levinson (University of Maryland, College Park)
· Epistemology: Marian David (Karl-Franzens Universität, Graz)
· History of Philosophy: Anna Marmodoro (Durham University and University of Oxford)
· Logic & Philosophy of Science: Michela Massimi (University of Edinburgh)
· Metaphysics: Francesco Orilia (University of Macerata)
· Moral Philosophy: Mario De Caro (University Roma Tre and Tufts University)
· Philosophy of Action: Luca Ferrero (University of California, Riverside)
· Philosophy of Language: Claudia Bianchi (University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan)
· Philosophy of Law: Aldo Schiavello (University of Palermo)
· Philosophy of Mind: TBA
· Political Philosophy: TBA
The conference will host the following five special topic symposia:
· Becoming Familiar with Robots: Antonio Chella (University of Palermo), Pim Haselager (Radboud University Nijmegen and Donders Institute), Pietro Perconti (University of Messina), Agnieszka Wykowska (Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia).
· Cognitive Liberty: Philosophy Meets New Brain Technologies: Andrea Lavazza (CUI Arezzo, chair), Christoph Bublitz (University of Hamburg), Marcello Ienca (ETH Zurich), Massimo Reichlin (Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan).
· Ontological Pluralism and the Arts: Jerrold Levinson (University of Maryland, College Park), Chiara Palazzolo e Mario De Caro (University Roma Tre), Enrico Terrone (LOGOS Research Group in Analytic Philosophy).
· Legal Interpretation and Disagreements: Damiano Canale and Giovanni Tuzet (Bocconi University), Andrea Porciello (University of Catanzaro), Vittorio Villa (University of Palermo), Silvia Zorzetto (University of Milano).
· Practical Reasoning: Caroline Arruda (University of Texas), Lilian O’Brien (University of Helsinki), Jeremy Fix (University of Oxford).
The SIFA invites contributions for the following PARALLEL SESSIONS:
3. Logic & Philosophy of Science
5. Moral Philosophy
6. Philosophy of Action
7. Philosophy of Language
8. Philosophy of Law
9. Philosophy of Mind
10. Political Philosophy
GUIDELINES FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
Submissions will be blind-refereed and selected on the basis of quality and philosophical significance.
Contributed papers will be scheduled for a 30 minute presentation + 10 minute discussion.
Abstracts must be written in English and prepared for blind review: any self-reference and personal data should be suppressed. Abstracts should indicate the title of the paper and the parallel session for which it is submitted or a clear reference to the symposium. Please select parallel sessions among the conference topics.
Please submit a short abstract of 300 words, and a long abstract of no more than 1000 words (references included).
Long abstracts should not only contain the position defended or the issue discussed, but also indicate the outline of the argument.
• Submission is made through the EasyChair website (see Guidelines below)*.
Please select only one parallel session for your submission.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION is April 30th, 2020
Notification of acceptance is expected by June 15th, 2020
(*) Guidelines for EasyChair submission
The EasyChair login page for SIFA2020 is at:
To submit, please prepare your short abstract for blind review, and save your extended abstract as a PDF file. Then follow the link to our Conference System. Note that 'Paper' refers to your extended abstract. Please also note that first-time users need to register as users of EasyChair.
YOUNG SCHOLAR PRIZE: Up to four SIFA bursaries of 250 euros each will be awarded to young scholars on the basis of the quality of the abstracts. Master and PhD students, and young scholars (max. 5 years from PhD award) not permanently affiliated to higher education institutions are eligible for the prize. In addition to regular submission, select “SIFA Young Scholar Prize” among the conference topics on EasyChair and send a short CV to firstname.lastname@example.org — YOUNG SCHOLAR PRIZE should be in the object of the email.
NB: In order to take part in the Conference, SIFA members should have paid the 2020 subscription.
Participation in the conference is subject to a registration fee.
If paid BEFORE August 1st, 2020:
Euro 50,00: faculty
Euro 25,00: others
If paid AFTER August 1st, 2020:
Euro 70,00: faculty
Euro 35,00: others
Early registration will be open on: June 22nd, 2020.
Conference fee includes: registration, conference materials, and coffee breaks.
NB: The conference fee does not include the conference dinner.
Registration and payment for the conference dinner will be available as a separate option on the registration page in due course.
Palazzo Carlo Giavanti, Via A. Sofia, 78, Noto (SR), Italy
All inquiries concerning the submission of abstracts should be addressed to: email@example.com
• Deadline for submission: April 30th, 2020
• Notification of acceptance: June 15th, 2020
• Registration opens: June 22nd, 2020
• Early registration deadline: August 1st, 2020
Carla Bagnoli (University of Modena and Reggio Emilia/Oslo), Andrea Borghini (University of Milano), Mimma Bruni (University of Messina), Alessandro Capone (University of Messina), Marco Carapezza (University of Palermo), Bianca Cepollaro (University San Raffaele, Milano), Massimo Dell’Utri (University of Sassari), Elisabetta Galeotti (University of Eastern Piedmont), Benedetta Giovanola (University of Macerata), Samuele Iaquinto (University of Genoa), Federica Liveriero (University of Campania, Luigi Vanvitelli), Cristina Meini (University of Eastern Piedmont), Pietro Perconti (University of Messina)
University of Messina, Dept. of Cognitive Science, Education and Cultural Studies (COSPECS), Consorzio Universitario Mediterraneo Orientale (CUMO)
September 15, 2020, 5:00am CET
Who is attending?
1 person is attending:
Will you attend this event?