CFP: CFP - TEOREMA Philosophy of Medicine
Submission deadline: July 10, 2020
Call for Papers
Philosophy of Medicine
International Journal of Philosophy
Teorema invites submissions for a special issue on philosophy of medicine. In recent years, the philosophy of medicine has gained an increasingly visible position. More and more philosophers and medical professionals are interested in the metaphysical and epistemological aspects of the theory, research and practice of medicine. Thus, philosophical studies on the concepts, methods, and implications of medicine are giving rise to influential theoretical proposals supported by transdisciplinary approaches that aim to be relevant to medical practice.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of suggested topics for contributions:
- The scientific status of medicine: Is medicine "applied biology"? Is medicine a science or an art? How can medicine be clearly distinguished from pseudomedicine and other pernicious discourses?
- The definition of health and disease: Is it necessary to define these concepts? Is it possible -or desirable- to achieve a universal definition of health and disease? What is the current state of the debate between naturalists and normativists?
- The role of values in medical philosophy: How does the social context affect medical theory and practice? How are medical values grounded in contemporary moral theories?
- Classification in medicine: What are the problems and shortcomings of medical classification systems (ICD, DSM, etc.)? Are diseases natural kinds or social constructs?
- Causality in medicine: What is the most adequate causal model to understand medicine? What are the philosophical challenges of the Evidence Based Medicine?
- Mental illness: Do mental diseases really exist? Are the criticisms of the Anti-psychiatry movement still valid? How does the categorization of mental disease affect classical questions of philosophy of mind, such as the mind-body problem?
- Public health and new global challenges. What is the most appropriate theoretical framework for addressing public health problems? Are new global health challenges, such as the health alarm caused by COVID-19, changing the philosophy of medicine? Is the philosophy of medicine a useful tool for addressing these challenges?
Articles must be written in English or Spanish and should not exceed 6,000 words. For the presentation of their articles, authors are requested to take into account the instructions available at:http://www.unioviedo.es/Teorema/English/Authors.html>. Submissions must be suitable for blind review. Submitted papers should be sent as attachments in an e-mail message with the subject “Monograph on Philosophy of Medicine” to the following address: email@example.com
Closing date is July 10, 2020. Notification of intent to submit, including both a title and a summary of the content, will be greatly appreciated, as it will assist with the coordination and planning of the special issue.
Any queries should be addressed to the guest editor, Cristian Saborido (firstname.lastname@example.org).