Southeastern Association for the Continental Tradition
Saint Leo University
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
This Year’s Theme: “Time, Historicity, and Repetition: Continental Approaches to the History of Philosophy“
SEACT was created to provide a new space for scholars of continental philosophy and the history of philosophy living in the Southeast region to come together and share their work with one another. Building on last year’s theme, “Community,” participants in last year’s conference voted to select the 2021 theme. With “Time, Historicity, and Repetition: Continental Approaches to the History of Philosophy,” we hope to deliver a conference inclusive of myriad continental approaches to history and temporality including both papers on continental figures/ ideas and papers on the history of philosophy using methods that emerge out of the continental tradition.
Our second annual meeting will be held virtually on Zoom on April 9-10, 2021.
Instructions for Submissions:
To submit, please send an abstract of 300-500 words along with the following information:
- The title of the paper/ presentation (for panels: the title of the panel as a whole and the title of each contribution)
- Names, positions, and institutional affiliations for each author
- Contact information for each author
- Type of presentation (see below)
The abstract and the accompanying information should be sent by Feb 28, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Notifications of decision will be sent by March 7.
Options for Presentations:
Scholarly presentations at SEACT can take a variety of forms. When you send in your abstract, please specify which type of presentation would be most appropriate.
- Individual Presentation: This is a presentation of a philosophical paper/ argument. The presenter in this case will have 30 minutes for their presentation and 20-30 minutes for Q&A.
- Teaching Presentation: This is a presentation on a topic related to teaching philosophy. The presenter in this case will have 30 minutes for their presentation and 20-30 minutes for Q&A.
- Topical Panel: This is an organized panel of 2-4 participants each presenting on a particular topic related to philosophy. The abstract in this case should speak to the topic of the panel as a whole and to how each participant will contribute to the discussion of the topic. Panels will be an hour in length and should allow for at least 15 minutes of Q&A.
- Teaching Panel: This is an organized panel of 2-4 participants each presenting on a particular topic related to teaching philosophy The abstract in this case should speak to the topic of the panel as a whole and to how each participant will contribute to the discussion of the topic. Panels will be an hour in length and should allow for at least 15 minutes of Q&A.
Special Instructions for Undergraduate Students:
SEACT welcomes undergraduate student participants. Undergraduate students may apply to attend and/or present at the conference. To do so, they should send a letter of recommendation by a faculty advisor that speaks to how they are prepared to benefit from participating in the conference. Generally speaking, undergraduate participants will be advanced in their BA program (usually seniors who have taken several philosophy courses), but exceptions will be made for exceptional students. Undergraduate students can have their faculty advisor send their letter of recommendation directly to email@example.com or, if they are submitting an abstract, can include their advisor’s letter in their own email submission.
The Southeast Association for the Continental Tradition (SEACT) aims to build community among Continental philosophers in the southeastern United States. The location of our annual meeting alternates among member institutions. Each meeting will be devoted to a particular theme agreed upon in advance by our members. As a way of building our new community, we will suggest optional excursions as part of our time together at our annual meetings. We believe that philosophical community extends beyond the confines of the traditional conference format. For more information please see our website: https://seactphilosophy.wordpress.com/.
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?