Laws and Explanations in Metaphysics and Science
- DFG funded research group on Inductive Metaphysics
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
SPRING SCHOOL and WORKSHOP on Laws and Explanations in Metaphysics and Science
DFG-funded research group Inductive Metaphysics and Department of Philosophy, University of Duesseldorf
DATE & ACCESS:
March 24-25, 2021 (the spring school introductory course takes place on March 24; on March 25 there will be a workshop on the same topics). This is an online-event (Zoom). Further instructions and access information will be sent to registered participants in due course.
* Anna-Sofia Maurin (University of Gothenburg)
* Kristie Miller (University of Sydney)
* Jonathan Schaffer (Rutgers University)
* Naomi Thompson (University of Southampton)
AIMS & SCOPE:
In recent metaphysics, there has been a great interest in the metaphysical notion of grounding, which links metaphysics and explanation in a novel way. Grounding is claimed to be the common element in various "in-virtue-of" claims such as "I am in pain in virtue of certain activation-patterns of my nervous system (c-fibre firing)."
In philosophy of science, scientific, i.e., causal and nomological explanation has long been the focus of reflection.
This spring school focusses on the relation between metaphysical grounding on the one hand and scientific explanation on the other.
In particular, we want to ask questions such as what the characteristic features of these two notions of explanation are, whether grounding explanations in metaphysics can play an analogous role to causal or nomological explanations in the sciences, and whether metaphysical grounding and scientific explanations can be treated in a unified framework.
SPRING SCHOOL INTRODUCTORY COURSE REQUIREMENTS:
The main target audience of the spring school introductory course are MA and PhD students in philosophy, however, this is not an exclusive criterion, for which reason the spring school introductory course is also open for BA students and PostDocs.
Attending the spring school introductory course and workshop is free of charge.
REGISTRATION & ORGANISATION:
* Please register via the online registration form at our website: .
* The deadline for registrations is March 15, 2021.
* Organisation: Markus Schrenk, Siegfried Jaag, Maria Sekatskaya, Christian J. Feldbacher-Escamilla
* If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us via .
* The spring school and workshop is generously supported by the University of Duesseldorf and the DFG-funded research group Inductive Metaphysics.
March 15, 2021, 7:45pm CET
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?