14th Conference of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy: Shaping the future: What Is the Role of Philosophy?
Palazzo Carlo Giavanti
Via A. Sofia, 78
- Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy
- Consorzio Universitario Mediterraneo Orientale (CUMO)
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
Shaping the Future: What Is the Role of Philosophy?
14th Conference of the Italian Society for Analytic Philosophy (SIFA)
22-24 September 2021, Noto (SR), Italy
Palazzo Carlo Giavanti, Via A. Sofia, 78, Noto (SR), Italy
The Conference will be held both in presence and online, depending on the pandemic situation and Government regulations (which we shall monitor constantly).
The Conference is open to all topics and themes in the analytic tradition, and will host five special topic symposia.
CONFIRMED INVITED SPEAKERS
Elizabeth Fricker (University of Oxford)
Dan Sperber (Institut Nicod, Paris)
Sarah Stroud (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill)
Confirmed Keynote Address Speakers
· Aesthetics: Enrico Terrone (University of Genova)
· Epistemology: Marian David (Karl-Franzens Universität, Graz)
· History of Philosophy: Anna Marmodoro (Durham University and University of Oxford)
· Logic & Philosophy of Science: Michela Massimi (University of Edinburgh)
· Metaphysics: Francesco Orilia (University of Macerata)
· Moral Philosophy: Mario De Caro (University Roma Tre and Tufts University)
· Philosophy of Action: Luca Ferrero (University of California, Riverside)
· Philosophy of Language: Claudia Bianchi (University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan)
· Philosophy of Law: Aldo Schiavello (University of Palermo)
· Philosophy of Mind: TBA
· Political Philosophy: Miriam Ronzoni (University of Manchester)
The conference will host the following five special topic symposia:
· Becoming Familiar with Robots: Antonio Chella (University of Palermo), Pim Haselager (Radboud University Nijmegen and Donders Institute), Pietro Perconti (University of Messina)
· Cognitive Liberty: Philosophy Meets New Brain Technologies: Andrea Lavazza (CUI Arezzo, chair), Christoph Bublitz (University of Hamburg), Marcello Ienca (ETH Zurich), Massimo Reichlin (Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milan)
· Ontological Pluralism and the Arts: Jerrold Levinson (University of Maryland, College Park), Enrico Terrone (LOGOS Research Group in Analytic Philosophy), Chiara Palazzolo e Mario De Caro (University Roma Tre), Elisa Caldarola (University of Padova)
· Practical Reasoning: Jeremy Fix (University of Oxford), Caroline Arruda (University of Texas), Lilian O’Brien (University of Helsinki)
· Truth: The Legacy of Frank P. Ramsey: Stefano Caputo (University of Sassari), Ciro De Florio (Università Cattolica, Milan), Massimo Dell’Utri (University of Sassari), Giovanni Tuzet (Bocconi University
The SIFA invites contributions for the following PARALLEL SESSIONS:
3. History of Philosophy
4. Logic & Philosophy of Science
6. Moral Philosophy
7. Philosophy of Action
8. Philosophy of Language
9. Philosophy of Law
10. Philosophy of Mind
11. Political Philosophy
GUIDELINES FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
Submissions will be blind-refereed and selected on the basis of quality and philosophical significance.
Contributed papers will be scheduled for a 30 minute presentation + 10 minute discussion.
Abstracts must be written in English and prepared for blind review: any self-reference and personal data should be suppressed. Abstracts should indicate the title of the paper and the parallel session for which it is submitted or a clear reference to the symposium. Please select parallel sessions among the conference topics. Abstracts should also indicate whether, in case of acceptance, the Authors are willing to deliver the talk in-presence or only online.
Please submit a short abstract of 300 words, and a long abstract of no more than 1000 words (references included).
Long abstracts should not only contain the position defended or the issue discussed, but also indicate the outline of the argument.
• Submission is made through the EasyChair website (see Guidelines below)*.
Please select only one parallel session for your submission.
Please note: Abstracts submitted last year for the cancelled Conference will not be taken into consideration. If you submitted an abstract last year, please resubmit.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION is May 2nd, 2021
Notification of acceptance is expected by June 20th, 2021
(*) Guidelines for EasyChair submission
The EasyChair login page for SIFA2021 is at:
First-time users need to register as users of EasyChair.
To submit, please prepare your short abstract for blind review, and save your extended abstract as a PDF file. Then follow the link to our Conference System. Note that 'Paper' refers to your extended abstract.
YOUNG SCHOLAR PRIZES: Up to four SIFA bursaries of 250 euros each will be awarded to young scholars on the basis of the quality of the extended abstracts. Master and PhD students, and young scholars (max. 5 years from PhD award) not permanently affiliated to higher education institutions are eligible for the prize. In addition to regular submission, select “SIFA Young Scholar Prize” among the conference topics on EasyChair and send a short CV to [email protected] — YOUNG SCHOLAR PRIZE should be in the object of the email.
NB: In order to take part in the Conference, SIFA members should have paid the 2021 subscription. In case you haven’t already paid, you can do so at this link:
In-person participation in the conference is subject to the following registration fee.
If paid BEFORE August 8th, 2021:
Euro 50,00: faculty
Euro 25,00: others
If paid AFTER August 8th, 2021:
Euro 70,00: faculty
Euro 35,00: others
Early registration will be open on: July 1st, 2021.
Conference fee includes: registration, conference materials, and coffee breaks.
NB: The conference fee does not include the conference dinner.
Registration and payment for the conference dinner will be available as a separate option on the registration page in due course.
In the eventuality that the Conference is held only online because of the Coronavirus emergency, there will be no fees to pay, but participants should register as members of the SIFA (http://www.sifa.unige.it/?page_id=28&english=1).
Palazzo Carlo Giavanti, Via A. Sofia, 78, Noto (SR), Italy
All inquiries concerning the submission of abstracts should be addressed to: [email protected]
• Deadline for submission: May 2nd, 2021
• Notification of acceptance: June 20th, 2021
• Registration opens: July 1st, 2021
• Early registration deadline: August 8th, 2021
Carla Bagnoli (University of Modena and Reggio Emilia/Oslo), Sofia Bonicalzi (University Roma Tre), Andrea Borghini (University of Milano), Domenica Bruni (University of Messina), Alessandro Capone (University of Messina), Marco Carapezza (University of Palermo), Massimiliano Carrara (University of Padova), Bianca Cepollaro (University San Raffaele, Milano), Massimo Dell’Utri (University of Sassari), Elisabetta Galeotti (University of Eastern Piedmont), Benedetta Giovanola (University of Macerata), Samuele Iaquinto (University of Turin), Federica Liveriero (University of Pavia), Cristina Meini (University of Eastern Piedmont), Pietro Perconti (University of Messina)
University of Messina, Dept. of Cognitive Science, Education and Cultural Studies (COSPECS), Consorzio Universitario Mediterraneo Orientale (CUMO)
September 15, 2021, 5:00am CET