Democratic Rights – Democratic Duties
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
The Faculty of Arts at Charles Sturt University organises a conference on the topic “Democratic Rights - Democratic Duties”. The event aims to bring together academics working in the humanities, to foster discussion over what rights and duties are bestowed upon citizens of democratic countries. Papers will cover topics such as political participation, duty vs. right to vote, just war theory, the language of democracy, human rights.
Workshop on "Democratic Rights – Democratic Duties"
Charles Sturt University, Canberra, 3-4th July
Wednesday 3rd July
- 8.30 – 9.00: Registration and Welcome
- 9.00 – 10.30: Tom Campbell (CAPPE) “Should Democracy Be Recognised as a Human Right?” Respondent: Anthony Langlois (Flinders)
- 10.30 – 11.00 Coffee break
- 11.00 – 12.30: Piero Moraro (CSU) “Right to Vote and Right to Do Wrong” Respondent: Margaret Meek-Lange (Macquarie)
- 12.30 – 2.00 Lunch
- 2.00 – 3.30: Sarah Sorial (UOW) “Free Speech Rights: Do Speakers also Have Duties?” Respondent: Peter Balint (UNSW)
- 3.30 – 4.00 Coffee break
- 4.00 – 5.30: Massimo Renzo (Warwick) “Moral Equality of Combatants and the Duty to Fight Unjust Wars”. Respondent: Christian Barry (ANU)
- 7.00 Dinner at Ottoman Cuisine Restaurant
Thursday 4th July
- 9.30 -11.00: Russell Daylight (CSU) “In the Name of Democracy”. Respondent: Paul Voice (Bennington)
- 11.00 – 11.30 Coffee Break
- 11.30 -1.00: Kevin Walton (USYD) “Democracy and Political Obligation”. Respondent: Joanne Lau (Virginia)
- 1.00 – 2.30 Lunch
- 2.30 – 4.00: Jason Brennan (Georgetown) “Signalling Equality? Against Semiotic Arguments for Democracy”. Respondent: Daniel Cohen (CSU)
To register, contact the organiser at [email protected] (please not that
seats are limited, so register early to avoid disappointment.)
- Full workshop AUD 40
- One day AUD 20
- Dinner (3July) AUD 65
Information on venue, speakers and abstracts can be found at:
July 3, 2013, 10:00am +10:00
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?