Arizona Bioethics Network Annual Conference: Ethical Challenges in Mental Health
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
10th Annual Conference
Ethical Challenges in Mental Health
Friday, September 17 and Saturday, September 18
8am - noon (PST) each day, virtually, with an optional breakout session at the end of each day
The COVID-19 pandemic has identified ethical challenges that arise when a health care system is stretched to its limits in providing care. Health professionals, social workers, and the public have faced these challenges. Healthcare professionals saw an increase in suicides or burnout, and they have expressed concern at the lack of support for their members' mental/behavioral health needs. The dynamics of healthcare changed during the pandemic through its extensive reliance on telemedicine. Some challenges are persistent, such as questions of suitable research subjects, the use of genomic data, and difficulties placing children in treatment facilities.
We've invited speakers to share their knowledge of the ethical challenges that can arise in the treatment, access to resources, stigmatization, and research of mental illness.
- Mental Health Stigma & Health Professionals - Tala Dajani, MD, MPH
- Reset and Rejuvenate! - Shelley J. Tom, MS, LPC, RYT 200, CDWF
- Ethical Concerns in Treatment of Incapacitated Patients - Joanna Kowalik, MD, MPH, FAPA
- Ethics in Research: Subjects with Mental Illness - Gwen A. Levitt, DO, DFAPA
- Divided Medicalization and the Neurodevelopmental Turn: Using Genomic Data to Predict a Changing Future - Elizabeth Fein, PhD
- The Pipes are Clogged: Finding Flow in Children’s Higher Levels of Behavioral Health Care - Sala Webb, MD, CPH, FAPA, DFAACAP
- Ethics in Providing Telepsychiatric Services During the Pandemic- Lisa Cobourn, MD, & Wendy Watson, MD, MPH
- The Ethics and Laws Regarding Patients who Report Homicidal Thoughts - Zhi Y. Wu, MD
Earn 5 CME, CNE, or ACE, as well as IPCE by participating in this conference online and completing the evaluation forms afterward.
The total cost to attend is $45 if you wish to earn CEUs or $25 if you do not.
September 16, 2021, 11:45pm MST
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?