CFA: Ethics in Uncertain Times
Submission deadline: January 9, 2022
March 19, 2022 - March 20, 2022
Department of Philosophy, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Knoxville, United States
The Philosophy Graduate Student Association at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville invites abstracts from graduate students and post-doctoral scholars in philosophy and other relevant disciplines for its fifth annual conference, “Ethics in Uncertain Times,” to be held on March 19-20th, 2022 in Knoxville, TN. We are excited to announce that Dr. Stephen Gardiner, Professor of Philosophy & Ben Rabinowitz Endowed Professor of the Human Dimensions of the Environment at the University of Washington will be our keynote speaker.
Several interlocking global issues are likely to dominate philosophical discussion around ethics and social justice in the years to come, including climate change, COVID-19 and possible future pandemics, and political and social instability in the democratic world, among others. Submissions may engage with any of these topics. Some possible questions to engage with might include:
- What does increasing public distrust in social and political institutions mean for the ability of governments to effectively mitigate the effects of climate change?
- Are there conditions under which civil disobedience is justified in the face of ongoing and systematic refusal on the part of governments to reduce carbon emissions?
- How ought we balance individual and collective responsibility for the negative effects of climate change?
- Given the availability of vaccines, should vaccination status be a condition for medical treatment during a pandemic?
- What are the responsibilities and obligations of wealthy nations toward climate refugees?
- Should a social discount rate play a role in determining the obligations of currently existing persons to future persons?
Abstracts of 500–750 words should be formatted for blind review and submitted via the Google Form found below by January 9th, 2022. The form must include your name, contact information, proposed paper title, and institutional affiliation.
Accepted presenters will be notified in early February. Full papers should be prepared for 30-minute presentations (with a short Q&A/discussion to follow).
Link to Google Form CFA: https://tiny.utk.edu/PGSACFA