How to Deal with Peer Review in Academic PublishingAlireza Salehi-Nejad (University of Tehran), Alireza Salehi Nejad (University of Tehran)
Title: How to deal with peer review in academic publishing
Instructor: Alireza Salehi-Nejad
Target audience: Early- and Mid-Career Researchers, Reviewers, Editors
Date: Wednesday, 27 Oct 2021 – 10:00-12:00 IRST
Type of workshop: Professional, Practical
Level: All levels
Going through the peer review process can be very challenging; particularly, when one has invested so much time in their manuscript and a reviewer thinks it needs more work. This workshop aims to provide some useful advice on how to deal with the reviewer comments and keep the submission moving smoothly through the publishing process. In this workshop, you will be familiarized with the initial steps you should take, and the correct tone and language to use in your response letter. In addition, this workshop intends to help you to see your manuscript through the eyes of an editor and reviewer; hence, you can spot any shortfalls or mistakes prior to submitting the manuscript. Ultimately, this workshop facilitates leveling the playing field by revealing what an editor really wants.
Topics & Learning Outcomes:
· The purpose, process, and responsibilities in peer review
· Types of peer review
· Recent developments in peer review
· How a manuscript is reviewed
· Evaluating methodology
· Detecting research misconduct
· How reviewers should provide constructive criticism and meaningful feedback to authors and editors
· Types of revision
· Examples of constructive feedback
· Responding to reviewers’ comments
· How to become a reviewer
- Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences
- Center for Open Science (COS)
- Humanities Commons
- International Association of Communication in Healthcare (IACH)
- UNESCO Chair on Cyberspace and Culture (UCCC)
- UNESCO Chair on E-Learning & Teaching (UCET)
- UNESCO Chair on the Communication of Science & Technology (UCCST)
About the instructor: Alireza Salehi-Nejad is a multiciliary researcher at the Faculty of World Studies, University of Tehran. Alireza has extensively collaborated with numerous academic publishers - notably SAGE Publications, Elsevier, Cambridge University Press, Canadian Center of Science & Education, Springer Nature - and scholarly journals as an editorial board member and reviewer. Alireza serves as a mentor in Web of Science Academy, and is recognized as the Top Reviewer in Social Sciences by Publons and received the Sentinel of Science Award in 2016, and the Excellent Reviewer Award in 2017.
Organizer’s secretarial: Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Who is attending?
No one has said they will attend yet.
Will you attend this event?