CFP: Salzburg Conference for Young Analytic Philosophy (SOPhiA 2022)
Submission deadline: May 1, 2022
September 7, 2022 - September 9, 2022
University of Salzburg
Salzburg Conference for Young Analytic Philosophy: SOPhiA 2022
September 7 - 9, 2022
Department of Philosophy (Humanities), University of Salzburg, Austria
SOPhiA 2022 provides an opportunity for students and doctoral candidates in philosophy to take a first peek into the philosophical business and to get in touch with prospective and well established philosophers. Contributions in every discipline of philosophy (epistemology, ethics, logic, metaphysics, philosophy of mind, philosophy of religion, philosophy of science, etc.) are welcome. As common in analytic philosophy, contributors should make use of understandable language as well as rational argumentation. In addition to the conference presentations there will also be affiliated workshops on selected topics in analytic philosophy.
* Otávio Bueno (University of Miami)
* Bas van Fraassen (Princeton University)
* Vera Hoffmann-Kolss (University of Bern)
* Leonhard Menges (University of Salzburg)
* Reflecting on 10 years in the set theoretic multiverse (Organisation: Matteo de Ceglie (Salzburg); Speakers: Carolin Antos (Konstanz), Neil Barton (Oslo), Joel Hamkins (Notre Dame), Claudio Ternullo (Barcelona))
* Novel approaches to knowledge-how and skilled action (Organisation: Peter Brössel & Eline Kuipers (Bochum); Speakers: TBA)
* Conventions in science: Conceptual, epistemic and ethical (Organisation: Ina Jäntgen, Charlotte Zimmel & Ahmad Elabbar (Cambridge); Speakers: TBA)
* (Non-)reductionism in the metaphysics of mind (Organisation: Maria Sekatskaya (Düsseldorf), Christian J. Feldbacher-Escamilla (Cologne) & Alexander Gebharter (Munich); Speakers: Thomas Blanchard (Cologne), Christian J. Feldbacher-Escamilla (Cologne), Alexander Gebharter (Munich), Vera Hoffmann-Kolss (Bern), Andreas Hüttemann (Cologne), Raphael van Riel (Duisburg-Essen), Maria Sekatskaya (Düsseldorf))
* The metaphysics of space-time: The end of time? (Organisation: Niels Linnemann & Thorben Petersen (Bremen); Speakers: Natalja Deng (Yonsei), Lucy James (Bristol), Niels Linnemann (Bremen), Joshua Mozersky (Queen’s), Thorben Petersen (Bremen), Kian Salimkhani (Cologne))
Call for papers:
Students and doctoral candidates (pre-doc) in philosophy are encouraged to submit an abstract prepared for double-blind review. We are committed to fostering diversity and equality in our programs. Submissions from underrepresented groups are particularly welcome. Abstracts should not exceed 2.000 characters. All submissions should be suitable for a presentation of approximately 20 minutes in length (plus 10 minutes discussion). Please submit your abstract with a biographical note and a short CV attached in a separate document at until May 1, 2022. Attendees are asked to register at the same site before the conference. Note that authors may appear as co-authors on multiple submissions, but not more often than once as first author/presenter.
Additional information concerning COVID-19:
At the moment, we are planning the conference as a hybrid event. If it will be possible to attend the conference physically in September 2022, the conference will conform to the COVID-19 safety measures for public events according to recent standards at that time. The organising committee reserves the right to hold the conference as an online event if need be. Authors of accepted contributions will be updated and informed in time about the status of the conference.
SOPhiA best paper award:
Contributors are also invited to submit a full paper (of up to 8.000 words) not including any author or affiliation information. A selection of full papers will be published in KRITERION -- Journal of Philosophy and receive a waiver of the article processing charges. Please prepare your full paper according to the guidelines available at and submit it via the link provided there. When submitting your manuscript via the journal's submission system, please select "Special Issue: SOPhiA 2022" as the issue type. Note that only full papers in English submitted before the general deadline (May 1, 2022) can be considered for the SOPhiA best paper award and that contributors are not allowed to be first or co-author of more than one paper submitted for the SOPhiA best paper award. Please be aware that only contributions that have also been submitted as a regular SOPhiA talk will be considered for the SOPhiA best paper award.
Submission deadline: May 1, 2022
Notification deadline: June 1, 2022