CFP: God’s Providence and the meaning of human life
Submission deadline: July 10, 2022
The international journal Segni e Comprensione invites submissions for two topical issues on “God’s Providence and the meaning of human life” edited by Salvatore Rindone and Damiano Migliorini.
God’s providence is a central doctrine for the religious faiths of all times, but the questions that are connected with it also concern, more generally, the meaning of life and history. The epochal crisis that we are experiencing seems particularly appropriate for a rethinking of this subject. A rethinking process that should involve the traditional theological and philosophical issues that it raises, as well as the contemporary scientific vision of the world and the philosophical views questioning the ultimate meaning of life, the sense of human history, and the notion of Providence itself.
Some major issues on which authors are invited to present their papers:
1. Does faith in Providence have rational evidences?
2. Is God’s providential planachieved by means of the laws of nature, the contingency of worldly events and/or supernatural interventions?
3. Do physical and moral evils contradict God’s providential plan or do they play a role in it?
4. If God’s providential plan for the world is eternal, is the future open and are humans free?
5 Is the doctrine of Providence compatible with a contemporary scientific world view?
6. Can technology play a role in God’s providential plan or does it tend to replace it?
7. Does it make sense to consider Providence from a secular perspective?
8. How is Providence conceived in different religions and philosophies?
Segni e Comprensione’s issues (1 and 2, 2023) will publish the proceedings of AIFR (Associazione Italiana di Filosofia della Religione)’s annual conference on “God’s Providence and the meaning of human life” (Rome, November 2021), together with the contributions that will be submitted in response to this CFP.
How to submit
Articles should be 10-25 (formatted) pages long.
Before submission, authors should carefully read over the Instruction for Authors, available at: http://siba-ese.unisalento.it/files/segnicompr/Editoriale_Rules.pdf). See also Segni e Comprensione’s website: http://siba-ese.unisalento.it/index.php/segnicomprfor some samples.
Deadline for submission: July 10, 2022
The paper can be submitted only by email, sending it to the following addresses: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected](the three of them in CC). The email subject must be: “article for the cfp on Providence”
All manuscripts will undergo a double-blind peer-review process.
The journal publishes its articles on-line in Open Access.