2nd Bucharest Conference in Analytical Political Theory
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
We are welcoming abstract submissions for the 2nd Bucharest Conference in Analytical Political Theory (BCAPT), scheduled to take place between 9-10 June 2022, in Bucharest, Romania. The topic of this year’s edition is Age, Ethics, and Public Policies, with Anca Gheaus (Central European University) and Axel Gosseries (Université catholique de Louvain) joining us as keynote speakers. The conference is planned in a hybrid format, though we are aiming to have most presentations in-person, at the University of Bucharest, if the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic will permit it.
BCAPT is organized by the Bucharest Center for Political Theory and the Research Institute of the University of Bucharest – Social Sciences Division. Our first edition, focusing on thresholds in justice, took place in 2019, followed by a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Previous keynote speakers include Ingrid Robeyns (Utrecht University) and Liam Shields (University of Manchester).
The topic of this year’s edition concerns the role of age in ethical analysis and in the design of public policies. We therefore welcome papers that address any area of this topic, broadly construed, including but not limited to:
· Questions of intergenerational justice, both in regards to unfair advantages and disadvantages currently experienced by senior citizens, children or young adults and the way that social relations are shaped by age;
· The significance of age for democratic practices, both in regard to voting rights and other forms of democratic participation;
· The ethics of parenthood;
· The role of the state, the family, and other agents in care work involving children and senior citizens;
· Ageism in public policies;
· The interaction, conflict and connection between age discrimination and other forms of discrimination, based on gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation etc;
· Normative assessments of inheritance, social security, pension systems, age-based health programs, parental leave, child tax credits, and other public policies tailored with specific age-groups in mind;
· Consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic for children, as well as young, and senior citizens.
Participation is free of charge. The application consists of an abstract of approximately 300 words, which should be submitted at [email protected], until the 25th of March 2022. Please also specify whether you aim to attend in person, circumstances permitting. Succesful applicants will be notified by the 31st of March 2022. For more information please visit us at www.bcept.ro.