CFP: 2022 Open University Graduate Nietzsche Conference (Online)
Submission deadline: June 30, 2022
October 14, 2022 - October 15, 2022
Department of Philosophy, The Open University
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
In the not-too-distant past, graduates specializing in the study of Nietzsche’s philosophy were relatively rare. Now we are many. Yet, post-Covid, there are fewer opportunities to present and discuss our research. The graduate community of Nietzsche scholars at the Open University would like to invite graduate researchers with an interest in Nietzsche to submit papers for our OU Online Graduate Conference on Nietzsche.
We welcome submissions on any philosophical and/or interpretative question related to Nietzsche’s works or ideas. The following topics reflect the interests of the organisers:
● Nietzsche on the self
● Incorporation (Einverleibung), embodiment and embodied cognition in Nietzsche
● What is consciousness for Nietzsche and what, if anything, does it allow agents to do?
● Free will, and Nietzsche’s alternative conceptions of freedom/free will
● Nietzsche’s psychology compared to others, e.g., Freud, James, and Ricoeur etc.
● Who are Nietzsche’s ideal agents? What is the relationship between the capacities individuals possess and the values they hold or should hold?
● Nietzsche’s evaluation of asceticism; the ascetic ideal versus askesis (self-discipline).
● Nietzsche and the falsification thesis. Where, if at all, does falsification enter knowledge for Nietzsche?
● Perspectivism and the possibility of objective knowledge
● How do other thinkers and philosophical traditions illuminate aspects of Nietzsche’s thinking, and/or vice versa?
● Nietzsche and the will to truth
Please submit abstracts of 300-500 words in length via this Google form link below by Thursday 30th June.
About the Conference:
The conference will be held online via Microsoft Teams over two days 14th to 15th October. Speakers will have 20 minutes to present their papers, followed by 20 minutes for discussion. Participation is free for all. Those wishing to attend only, should fill in this registration form.
James Leigh, Joseph Coppin, and Robert Jones (The Open University)
We look forward to receiving your abstracts. If you have any queries, please email: [email protected]