CFP: Shaikh al-Ishraq and the Modern World
Submission deadline: April 22, 2023
May 13, 2023 - May 14, 2023
Academy of Sciences of Iran
The Institute of Suhrawardi’s Wisdom in collaboration with some academic centers organizes an international conference to reread the thoughts of Shaikh al-Ishraq. Rereading Suhrawardi's thoughts is of great importance for the new generation who live in a different world from Suhrawardi's time. There is no need to say that in this rereading, due to the critical nature of the modern world, there may be some criticisms of those ideas. This international conference, which will be held in person and online in March 2023, originates from the view that original premodern intellectual traditions can be the source of insight and inspiration for contemporary human being in solving his/her complicated problems.
Conference Chairman: Gholamreza Aavani (Professor Emeritus, Iranian Research Institute of Philosophy, Iran)
Scientific Secretary: Mohsen Javadi (Professor, University of Qom, Iran)
Executive Secretary: Roohollah Fadaei (Ph. D Graduate, Tarbiat Modares University, Iran)
Venue: The Academy of Sciences of Iran
Shaikh al-Ishraq &
• Comparative Studies
• Contemporary Studies
• Logical Innovations
• Meaning of Life
• Mystical Epistemology
• Natural Philosophy
• Political Philosophy
• Symbolic, Allegorical, and Metaphorical Literature
We are honored to host some of well-known Suhrawardi scholars in the scientific board:
• Adamson, Peter (Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich)
• Amin Razavi, Mehdi (University of Mary Washington)
• Hennig, Boris (Toronto Metropolian University)
• /Kaukua, Jari (University of Jyväskylä)
• Marcotte, Roxanne (University of Quebec)
• Mousavian, Seyed N. (Loyola University Chicago)
• Rizvi, Sajjad (University of Exeter)
• Walbridge, John (Indiana University)
• Uluc, Tahir (Necmettin Erbakan University)
- Abstract submission deadline: March 6, 2023
- Notification of acceptance: March 11, 2023
- Paper submission deadline: April 22, 2023
- Announcement of the selected papers and presentations’ schedule: May 6, 2023
- Conference date: May 13, 2023- May 14, 2023
Only Ph. D holders and postgraduate students may submit abstracts and papers.
Conference website, submissions and registration: http://ishraqconference.ir/
· Abstracts should be no less than 250 words in length and no more than 300.
· Abstracts should be followed by 3 to 5 keywords.
· Papers should be no less than 1500 words in length and no more than 2000.
· Whole text should be typed in Times New Roman font (font size: 11 for body and 9 for endnotes and bibliography).
· All titles and subtitles in the paper should be arranged numerically (English numbers not Roman).
· All marginal but useful and important notes should be mentioned as endnotes not footnotes.
· All references (in-text and reference list) should follow the 16th edition of Chicago citation style.
The conference will be held both virtually and in person.
The conference registration and participation are free of charge. Nevertheless, Participants are responsible for organizing and paying their own travel costs to the venue of the conference as well as for their accommodation. For any further information about the conference and traveling to Iran, contact us: [email protected]
#Suhrawardi, #Shaikh al-Ishraq , #Islamic Philosophy, # Illuminative Philosophy, #Comparative Philosophy