CFP: The Good, the Beautiful, the Green: Environmentalism and Aesthetics
Submission deadline: December 31, 2017
The Good, the Beautiful, the Green: Environmentalism and Aesthetics
A Special Issue of The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism
Guest Editors: Sandra Shapshay and Levi Tenen
Submissions on any philosophical treatment of environmental aesthetics and ethics are welcome, but papers addressing these questions are especially welcome:
- Do we have aesthetic reasons, moral reasons, or some combination of these for protecting the natural environment?
- How does an object’s aesthetic value structure our reasons for acting?
- Are environmentally beneficial projects (e.g. wind farms) aesthetically flawed?
- How do non-western aesthetic approaches conceive of the relation between aesthetics and ethics, especially with respect to the natural world?
- Can Land Art be aesthetically flawed for negatively impacting the environment?
- What particular actions ought we to take towards the environment?
- Are moral reasons more normatively fundamental than aesthetic reasons, vice versa, or is neither more fundamental than the other?
- Can, and do, aesthetic values conflict with moral values?
- How have past philosophers conceived of the relation between environmental aesthetics and ethics?
- What role do aesthetic considerations play in motivating people to act for the sake of the environment?
- Does positive aesthetics rest on a moral claim?
Submissions should not exceed 7,500 words and must comply with the general guidelines for submissions. (See “Submissions” on the JAAC page on the American Society for Aesthetics website: www.aesthetics-online.org) Upload submissions to the JAAC online submission website, https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/jaac, making sure they are identified as submissions for the special issue: at the prompt for manuscript type, select “special issue” rather than “original article.”
If you have questions, please contact:
Deadline for Submissions: December 31, 2017