17th annual meeting of the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness
Sheraton San Diego Hotel
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
ASSC 17 is intended to promote interdisciplinary dialogue in the scientific study of consciousness. ASSC members as well as non-members are encouraged to submit contributions that address current empirical and theoretical issues in the study of consciousness, from the perspectives of neuroscience, psychology, medicine, philosophy, computer science, and cognitive ethology. ASSC17 will provide an excellent opportunity for the presentation of new empirical findings or novel theoretical perspectives in an atmosphere that will promote discussion and debate. Attendees will include researchers, clinicians, and students at all levels, as well as the interested media and public.
ASSC17 will be hosted by the Neurosciences Research Foundation and will convene at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, right on beautiful San Diego Harbor. The venue is located directly across from San Diego International Airport and is only a 5-minute cab ride from the bustling nightlife and trendy restaurants of downtown San Diego.
Oral and poster presentations will complement the exciting plenary program below:
- Patrick Cavanagh (Paris)
- Itzhak Fried (Los Angeles)
- Shaun Gallagher (Memphis)
- Sabine Kastner (Princeton)
- Andreas K. Engel, Presidential Address (Hamburg)
- The Role of Prefrontal Cortex in Conscious Experience - Richard Brown (Chair), Rafi Malach, Joseph Levine, Dobromir Rahnev
- Projecting Bodily Consciousness: How the body affects consciousness in personal, peripersonal and interpersonal space - Olaf Blanke (Co-Chair), Thomas Metzinger (Co-Chair), Roy Salomon, Andrea Serino, Frédérique de Vignemont
- Beyond the contrastive method: How to separate the Neural Correlates of Consciousness from its Precursors and Consequences - Lucia Melloni (Chair), Stanislas Dehaene, Michael Pitts, Ned Block
- Ethical Implications of Detecting Covert Awareness in Disorders of Consciousness - Adrian Owen (Chair), Lorina Naci, Bryan Young, Daniel Bor, Charles Weijer, Andrew Peterson
- Using Bayes to Interpret Non-significant Results - Zoltan Dienes
- Representational Theories of Consciousness - Rocco Gennaro
- Integrated information, predictive coding, and qualia - Anil Seth, Ryota Kanai
- Investigating animal pain and consciousness - Paula Droege, Victoria Braithwaite
- The Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness - Giulio Tononi, Christof Koch, Nao Tsuchiya, Masafumi Oizumi
- Measuring (un)awareness - David Carmel, Steve Fleming
- First-Person Methods: Philosophers' Dreams or Researchers' Nightmares? Perspectives from Philosophy and the Study of Dreaming - Jennifer M. Windt, Sascha Benjamin Fink
On behalf of the Local Organizing and Scientific Program Committees, we look forward to welcoming you to San Diego in July!
David Edelman, Tobias Schlicht (Co-Chairs, ASSC 17)