CFP: Studying Gender in the Wake of #MeToo
Submission deadline: March 8, 2019
March 8, 2019
Department of Politics , University of Manchester
Manchester , United Kingdom
‘Studying Gender in the Wake of #MeToo’
The Women’s Collective of the School of Social Sciences at the University of Manchester invites submissions for a one-day conference on International Women’s Day, 8th March 2019. This conference seeks to bring together PhD students, early career researchers, and activists from a variety of backgrounds whose work focuses on the politics of gender in the wake of the #MeToo movement. This conference aims to facilitate an interdisciplinary discussion within and beyond the social sciences that encompasses a wide range of theoretical and methodological approaches.
In particular, we welcome submissions across two central themes: Activism & the Academy, and Gender and Representation, however all submissions related to the politics of gender/power will be considered.
Activism & the Academy
· Combating violence in the academy.
· Creative approaches to activism within the academy.
· Critical reflections on the relationship(s) between activism and academic research.
· Practicing solidarity: linking gender based activist work within the academy to wider struggles at the national and international level. This may include but is not limited to campaigns against racism, homophobia, border controls and fascism.
Gender and Representation
· Women’s representation at local and national levels, including the #askhertostand and #SOSO Parliament movements.
· Gender, Brexit, and British Politics.
· The role and representation of women in academia.
PhD students and early career researchers are invited to send abstracts and creative proposals of no more than 250 words to email@example.com by 31st January 2019. Alternative formats are also welcome. Please include your name, email address, current position, and institutional affiliation (if any).
Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any further information.