Call for Papers [extended]: ECTA 2013 European Conference on Theory of Action. Reasons for Action and Praxiology - Broadening the Borders
Submission deadline: March 31, 2013
June 13, 2013 - June 14, 2013
Dept. of Social Sciences / Institute of Philosophy, Adam Mickiewicz University
EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON THEORY OF ACTION:
Reasons for Action and Praxiology – Broadening the Borders
June, 12-14th 2013
Web address: ecta2013.org
Theory of reasons for action has been one of the most important areas of research in practical philosophy for over a half century, but mainly in English-speaking cultural area. Still, it is a dominant approach to the theory of action today.
Praxiology – a general theory or study of efficient action (with a seminal work of Tadeusz Kotarbinski from Warsaw-Lvov School) – is another important type of investigation on the field of practical philosophy. It also has quite a long tradition, but has been popular mainly in Poland and France.
While these two types of investigation of action are equally important, there has never been either a philosophical ‘battle’ or ‘cooperation’ between reasons for action theorists and praxiologists. It seems, that the researchers of both types of inquiry have so far not entered into dialogue to get a better understanding of the nature of action.
The most basic goal of this strongly interdisciplinary conference is to offer a small contribution to such communication. We invite praxiologists, reasons for action theorists, theorists of practical rationality and practical philosophers to exchange ideas and communicate. This will help to grasp a fuller understanding of the differences and similarities between various types of reflection on action. The conference will offer insights into the understanding of action in philosophical, social and cultural aspects.
- the nature of reasons for action: problems of contemporary debate,
- praxiology and ‘the grammar of action’ – old and new tasks,
- types of reflection on action, the methodology of action theories,
- connections and dependencies between theories of reasons for action and praxiology,
- similarities and differences in understanding action in terms of praxiology and reasons for action theory,
- theories of reasons for action and praxiology in the face of individual and collective action,
- theory of action and the (philosophical) picture of an agent,
- reasons for action and emotions,
- planning theory and praxiology
- philosophical theories of action and other sciences (psychology, sociology, neurosciences, ethics, management science, economics),
- differences between theories of action and cultural relativism,
- social aspects of theorizing action,
- praxiology and pragmatism,
- theory of rationality and theory of action,
- efficient action, rational action, and moral action.
Selected conference papers will be published as a collection of edited papers in Praxiology: The International Annual of Practical Philosophy and Methodology Series
Conference dates: June 12-14th 2013
Extended CFP deadline: March 31st 2013
CFP decision: by April 15th 2013
Registration deadline: April 31tst 2013
THE PRESIDENT OF THE CITY OF POZNAN
EUROPEAN BUSINESS ETHICS NETWORK POLSKA
Praxiologies.com Team in cooperation with Adam Mickiewicz University
More details: ecta2013.org