Space, Time, and Location
National Wine Centre of Australia
- Australian Research Council
Talks at this conferenceAdd a talk
The metaphysics of persistence has obvious connections with the physics of matter. This workshop aims to bring together metaphysicians and philosophers of physics to explore foundational questions about spacetime, material objects, and the nature of locative relations between them. Speakers will explore the historical and conceptual dimensions of debates over topics including:
- The prospects of supersubstantivalism, and the role of objects/particles in physical theory;
- The nature of location in quantum mechanics;
- The fundamentality of spacetime, and the metaphysics of space and time;
- The locative turn in the metaphysics of persistence;
- The ontology of field theories;
- The role of spacetime in formulations of quantum mechanics.
Registration will be free but required for organisational purposes, and numbers are limited due to room capacity contraints. Details about how to register will be provided closer to the conference; to receive an update please indicate your interest in attending on this page.
This will be an in-person event, taking place in Adelaide/Tarndanya, on the unceded lands of the Kaurna people. We are exploring possibilities of remote/Zoom attendance for audience members.
The workshop is part of the Australian Research Council funded project, Everything in its Place.
June 9, 2023, 9:00am +09:30