CFP: UK-IVR 2022 Annual Conference
Submission deadline: March 15, 2022
June 10, 2022 - June 11, 2022
Surrey Centre for Law and Philosophy, University of Surrey
Guildford, United Kingdom
Call for papers and workshops
The UK-IVR Association for Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy in collaboration with the University of Surrey Centre for Law and Philosophy are delighted to announce its 2022 Annual Conference.
The conference centres on the intersections of law, rationality and practical reason, from ancient and/or contemporary perspectives. We aim to create a platform for the exchange of ideas and the creation of synergies for new ways of thinking about law, practical reason and rationality among researchers in the field of philosophy, legal theory, law, sociology, psychology, intellectual history, classics and political science. We encourage all methodologies, including historical analysis and comparative intellectual history.
Indicative topics for papers and workshops (all topics can be approached from ancient and/or contemporary perspectives):
- Models of practical reason and law/authority
- Values, rationality and law
- Character, dispositions and law
- Conceptions of the good, common good and legal rationality
- Populism, reason, and the Rule of Law
- Reason, collective decision-making, and democracy
- Rationality in law and legal doctrine – e.g., legal responsibility and rationality; practical reason in civil law compared with criminal law.
- Judicial reasoning – e.g. reason and intuitions in judicial decisions; reason and emotions in judicial decisions
- The cyberspace, reason, and rationality – e.g., implications for legal regulation of cyberspace
- The current state and future direction of jurisprudence – e.g. which questions and method are worth pursuing in the study of law and social practices
If you would like to participate with a paper, please submit an abstract of maximum 500 words to the following email address [email protected] by March 15, 2022